Factory Unlocked 4s or AT&T? Help please!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetGeek407, Nov 22, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

As many of you may have read I am having major issues on sprint and will be switching to AT&T in orlando. I was considering getting 1 of my 5 iPhones as factory unlocked or maybe even all for the purpose of resale when the new one comes out. Here is the scenario

I have 5 Sprint iPhones I can sell and add $150 and get the factory unlocked ones, HOWEVER I don't really need them all unlocked but one (mine) cause I will be traveling a lot this year coming up.

Also I figure for resale it would help, but would it? considering the new one will definitely be redesigned how hard of a hit would I take at that point on say a 32gb unlocked?

I say this because the unlocked 16gb in theory would only cost me 350 out of pocket considering the cost of my existing sprint phone, selling the sprint phone for around $500 and adding $150 to get the unlocked. is it worth it if i don't need it just for resale sake or it won't matter considering the redesign will greatly drop prices on this model?

In that respect I can just trade my existing sprint models for att with someone and deal with it

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If you don't need unlocked for international travel, it's foolish not to go with the subsidized phones. You will pay AT&T the same rate either way, so you may as well benefit from the $450 subsidy. Yes an unlocked phone will bring more at resale, but nowhere near $450 more.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I would get the 1 unlocked if you plan to travel, but then get the others as subsidized. Is there a reason you have 5 accounts with Sprint? If you are planning to keep a single Sprint line, then perhaps you can have Sprint unlock that one for use outside the US.