Factory Unlocked iPhon 3gs - UAE - shoudl I sell my UK one!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pitsy, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Pitsy macrumors member

Well it finally happened!!

The iPhone 3gs has arrived in the middle east today and it can be purchased from Etisilat or DU (the local carriers) for AED 2799 (Apprx £466) for the 3gs 32gb. These are factory unlocked.

So it makes you wonder why they are so bloody expensive in europe!!

I have been fighting with o2 to have mine unlocked, with no luck at all and I am now torn as to whether to go an buy one locally and sell my UK white
    3gs...

At least if I bought one locally it would have a warranty locally...

Do you reckon its worth selling my UK iPhone to someone in the UK in the hope they will provide the unlock soon?

Pitsy

2. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I really cant see O2 unlocking them in the near future. Too many customers would move to Orange/Vodaphone/Three when they start selling them!

3. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Are you positive the phone is unlocked?
    I spoke to an Etisalat rep last week and he told me they have NO plans to make an unlocked version available.

4. Pitsy thread starter macrumors member

I can confirm the iPhone in the UAE is unlocked, I got mine and the rare screen comes up saying your phone is unlocked in iTunes...

This is the 3gs, and the 3g, both are unlocked and can be purchased as standalone devices here in the UAE.

So I have the o2 one sat here in a box, with an email from the Exec Support from o2 saying it will be unlocked, but god knows when...

So I have a shiny 4 week old white 32gb 3gs for sale!!

Pitsy

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

10th November, when Orange starts selling the iPhone. You'll be able to unlock yours through O2's website. Someone put an email from O2 with instructions in a thread on here.

6. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

No intention of being repetitive Pitsy but from the horse's mouth :rolleyes::
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

7. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Glad to see the iphone is now unlocked.
    Six months ago the Apple web page was showing the UAE iphone as sold as a locked phone. Typical Etisalat BS.

8. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

This is good news - I'm hoping the price comes down a little on eBay. I really want an officially unlocked 3Gs 16gb - but can't stomach paying over $700. :(