Factory unlocked iPhone 4S now locked after genius bar repair.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ahfu25, May 15, 2012.

1. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

So I purchased a factory unlocked iPhone 4S at the 5th ave store in New York. A couple weeks ago it was replaced at the genius bar as it wasn't turning on at all. I repeatedly told the genius bar clerk that it's an unlocked iPhone, purchased there at apple and they assured me it is unlocked. So today I put in a prepaid tmobile micro sim and I come to find out its locked! Called up apple, explained what happened and they tell me to call AT&T. Any one dealing with this kind of situation? I still have my original receipt that says "Unlocked" and also the receipt given to me at the genius bar. I called apple again and they confirmed that the iPhone is indeed Locked to AT&T. They said when I activate the phone with my AT&T sim it will automatically lock it to AT&T. They also suggested that I activate my next unlocked iPhone with a tmobile sim or any international sim. I'm pissed off at the moment because AT&T refuses to unlock my iPhone and Im way past my 30 day return window.

2. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I'd go back to the Apple store and talk to the Genius bar.
    They should be the ones handling the issue since it started there.

3. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I would take it back to the genius bar with your receipt and explain what happened.

They have the ability to unlock phones and apparently forgot to. Once a phone is properly unlocked it doesn't matter if you put an AT&T sim in or not. It won't "relock."

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

6. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I purchased it at an apple store at full retail cost of 749.99 for a white iPhone 4S 32gb. Big difference between buying from AT&T at subsidized price of 199.99 my friend. I think I know the difference..lol...even on my receipt it says UNLOCKED>>> Read again..

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Have you tried contacting AT&T? If they see the phone is off contract you can provide your IMEI # and they should unlock it. If that doesn't work I'd try returning to the Apple Store with your receipt.

8. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes! And they couldn't unlock it for me

9. trungthiendo macrumors regular

Mine was a subsidized unlock and can feel ur frustration

i think apple needs to research into this issue and educate their staff on the situation so they don't let this happen in the future.

i would bring back all the paperwork to an applestore, and have them resolve it.

and try to bring with you a tmobile sim or any sim that's not att based. then test it out thoroughly before you leave.

10. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is imei.info reliable? I put in my imei and it says I have a iPhone 4 not 4S..lol

11. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    AT&T has nothing to do with it.
    You bought a factory unlocked iphone and was mistakenly given an AT&T locked 4S.

13. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another thing I noticed..oh boy....When I dial 611 it tells me I have to contact my service provider directly...weird

----------

Yeah I checked it out and it said what it was supposed to

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

As one mentioned, to go to Settings > General, if you see Siri, then you have a 4S, if there is no Siri, then it's a 4 (assuming it's not jailbroken). If you had a 4S and Genius replaced it with a 4. I'd take it back, if you have a proof that you had a 4S, bring that as well.

15. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just got my phone swapped out as they realized that they did give me an AT&T locked iPhone 4S. Only thing is its on 5.1 so I have to patiently wait for a jb if it comes out for 5.1.....but 611 still doesn't connect me direct to AT&T...lol...weird issue that must be on att side.

16. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

pod2g said a 5.1.1 jb is coming in a few weeks, so you won't have to wait that long :p good to hear Apple resolved your issue

17. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah me too. I never had any issues at the genius bar honestly. They were polite, apologetic and I was there for no more than 10 minutes.

18. rehan7787 macrumors newbie

You can unlock it. Just chat or call AT&T. Tell them u have receipt and want to email it. Since it is full retail price u will get it. Also if anybody wants to check imei status, let me know. If im online I can provide instant. And yeah, it is free if cost.