Factory Unlocking My AT&T iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by travis.hansen, Apr 1, 2013.

1. travis.hansen, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. iPh0neTy, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That is the current ongoing price. However, remember the DCMA ruling on unlocking phones bought after January 24.

4. travis.hansen, Apr 1, 2013

travis.hansen thread starter macrumors regular

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I wouldnt trust a user as that.

6. Bako-MacAddict, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  7. travis.hansen thread starter macrumors regular

I figured the dmca laws are the reason ebay is taking action. My iPhone 4S is 2 years old and doesn't count under the law since its not manufactured after 1/26/2013

8. 617aircav Suspended

Unlocked a phone using eBay on Friday. They are all over eBay.

9. iPh0neTy macrumors member

No it's not. I have my Youtube channel iPhoneTy. It's my supplier and I worked out a deal with my supplier for my viewers. They process a couple hundred factory unlocks a week for my viewers.

10. travis.hansen thread starter macrumors regular

I saw unlocks on there too but every account that I've used before had been deleted. Most unlocks are being done in India. I just want a supplier I can continue to use and know they're reliable.

----------

Why do you say that? it seems legit to me and uses PayPal so it's secure. Also I know iPhoneTy's youtube channel. He helped me unlock a sprint 4S before. Lol

11. travis.hansen, Apr 1, 2013

travis.hansen thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I just submitted my imei. 4.99 is a good deal.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

There is a site that most people on MacRumors use and recomend that only costs $1.99. They unlocked my 4S which was only two weeks old in February in about a day. Anyone else charges more just to make more profit.

swiftunlocks.com.

13. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

I have heard nothing but good things from Swiftunlock.com. Their prices are amazing, and the service is very quick. I have personally used them for a few devices, and have also used them for unlocking several customers' phones.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Swift unlocks is the best.
    The rest of the sites just charge more to make a profit and submit your imei with Swiftunlocks.

15. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Do those laws even apply? I believe the law that bans unlocking is part of the DMCA, which regulates hacking of the phone. You're not hacking the phone to do this; in fact a legitimate unlock request is being sent to Apple, which they are honoring (for whatever reason!)

I don't see how this violates the DMCA in any way. When I did mine I didn't even have to install anything on my phone. I just restored it and it was legitimately factory-unlocked.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm not so sure the DMCA applies in this case. It definitely applies if you're jailbreaking to unlock. But this is an unlock based on a carrier whitelist, which isn't banned by the DMCA.

(How these vendors get your IMEI on the carrier whitelist is something none of us truly know, so we can only "trust" that the procedures they use are on the up and up).

17. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

Yes the the library of congress is proposing to make it illegal, however obama has said he is onthe side of customers, and no actual law has been written, nor has obama enacted any actual laws.

18. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

when i unlock my phone, when i take it to europe in may, how will i be able to use data there?

19. nitemare macrumors regular

if your 4S is 2 years old then it would be out of contract. why pay for an unlock when all you have to do is submit your imei to AT&T either through their website or over the phone and its free.

20. scaredpoet, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, there HAS been a law written that expressly forbids hack-based unlocks... it's called the DMCA.

What happened was, a few years back, the Library of Congress made an exemption for unlocking phones, effectively making it harder for carriers to sue people for it. By the way, an exemption by the Library of Congress isn't a law, nor does it negate or change the law... it's just a legal opinion on the federal level. The DMCA is still in effect, but it the LoC's opinion DOES give you something to point at if you get hauled into court for a DMCA violation, that the courts are more likely to pay attention to.

Because of this, it's generally assumed that if the LoC makes a DMCA exemption, then it's highly unlikely you'll get brought to court in the first place. No guarantees, though.

But, that's all moot now. This past year, the Library of Congress reversed their stance on hack-based unlocks, claiming that there are more options for consumers now. This removed the exemption.

There's no "proposing" about this. Hack-based unlocking is illegal. Right now. And there is no valid legal opinion anymore to point to as a defense.

What this translates to for most users isn't clear though. The common thinking is the Average Joe who jailbreaks his one iPhone, or roots his one Droid, probably won't be hounded by the carrier's lawyers because it would be too much hassle. But like the LoC exemption, there's no guarantees... a carrier might decide someday to turn into a legal troll and start unleashing lawyers on anyone they think unlocked a phone. It all depends on whether they think it's worth the money they'd spend.

But, if you're making a business out of jailbreaking/rooting smartphones to unlock hundreds/thousands/millions of them for cash, AT&T is a lot more likely to serve you some papers and use the DMCA against you, because it will be more worthwhile for them.

21. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I too thought once out of the 2-year contract ATT will unlock for free.

22. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

This is true. If your account is in good standing (bill paid) and you're out of contract, AT&T will unlock it on the spot. This is what I did last month for my and my parents' iPhones...

23. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I just did it for my iphone 5 that's a month old. took a few hours and all is good. going to take about as long to restore it though.

24. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

as of today there is no valid unlocking process its all done by imei submission, which only carriers have permission to do.

----------

Please reply back with statue number. thnx

25. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

But anything bought prior to that date is eligible correct? I have 2 IP5's bought on release date? and I plan on going out of the US for vacation?