Fahrenheit 451

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by oscillatewildly, Jun 9, 2009.

1. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

An Austrian getting rid of textbooks ...

Arnold Schwarzenegger to scrap school textbooks in favour of ebooks.

In addition, okay, replacing?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

:rolleyes:

Little bit of a stretch there?

Fahrenheit 451 was about censorship amongst other things.

Arnold just sounds like hes going green/reducing costs which is exactly what california needs.

3. oscillatewildly thread starter macrumors 68000

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

George Orwell's 1984: a book about a guy who has hair.

Barack Obama: decidedly pro-hair.

Oh Snap!

5. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Some links would be nice...

I can tell you what's happening in my wife's district though. There's no money for books this year. Not only does that mean no new textbooks, that means that however many of their existing books they lose, they're just short that many books next year. Teachers are also having their already small photocopying allotment cut in half. And, of course, they will have larger class sizes next year because they've had to let go of several staff members as well as eliminate several elective classes that accommodate students.

8. oscillatewildly thread starter macrumors 68000

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

10. oscillatewildly thread starter macrumors 68000

yg17,

The thread title is re the book paper combustion temperature thing rather than the story. I'm not against ebooks, just think they should be used with textbooks, not instead of. No making notes in the margin!

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Why can't you take notes in the margin? (you'll need software to support it, but its do able)

Also I'll be honest, I never took notes in the margin, so ebooks make a lot more sense for me. Those who want to make notes, print it out, or open up a Word/Pages and take the notes in there.

12. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

What's wrong with that? Textbooks are heavy, they take up a lot of space, they become damaged over time, they're expensive, they're easier to forget, they take longer to flip through, etc. Imagine being able to just take a Kindle or something to school instead. Much much easier, cheaper, greener, and better in pretty much every way. I can't think of a single negative. Except for "OMG BACK IN MY DAY WE HAD TO CARRY 364564567LB BOOKS TO EVERY CLASS, AND OUR CLASSES WERE OUTSIDE IN THE SNOW AND WE HAD TO WALK LIKE TEN MILES UP HILL TO GET THERE, HIPSTERS"

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Will the school purchase the kindle for the student? $359 is about two years worth of books for me (history major). I can't afford a kindle. Since it would be impossible for me to purchase a kindle, I would be tied to a computer. I can bring my physical books more places with me than my computer, my book can't run out of battery power, and the book is cheaper to replace if it is damaged or lost. I can buy most of my books used for a few dollars, so they are significantly cheaper than an ebook too.

That said, I'm not against using ebooks instead of physical books in high school. At the college level, I've hardly ever had a "textbook", but rather I have specific books written on one topic, none of which has ever been available as an ebook. But at highschool, all of the textbooks I used were broad, general "textbooks", which would be much cheaper for the publisher to adapt to an ebook, and much cheaper for the school districts to buy.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You guys are allowed to write in the textbooks? :confused:

My school gets new books roughly around ever ten years, we don't write in them because that ruins them.

15. oscillatewildly thread starter macrumors 68000

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea im 90% sure that doesn't fly anymore. No school has money (if public) to even take the chance.

17. oscillatewildly thread starter macrumors 68000

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not in high school, but in college you buy the textbooks and can do whatever you want with them.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Can, and often did. Specially when it was a book that couldn't be sold back. :D

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well obviously, but I thought we were talking about public schools (not college) hence why the state would be paying for the books.

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Eye strain comes to mind. I'd rather have a physical book. It's durable and I can bring it everywhere without being tethered to an electronic device.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

AND 10 miles UPHILL to get BACK, too.

(yep, the neighborhood was designed by MC Escher)

actually, i had managed to secure two full sets of books, so i had one set at school and one at home and i could travel just with the notebooks. :)

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Wait, what? I pay about $400 per semester. So, $1600 in the same amount of time you spend $359. I'm business/accounting, I guess that could be it.

By the way, I love ebooks. I have a Cybook Gen3 (an ebook reader) and love it. While it's great for pleasure reading, I don't think that the form factor would be good for textbooks. Not big enough, although the Kindle DX looks like it is...