Failed boot cache update – HELP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tritogeneia, Apr 9, 2008.

1. tritogeneia macrumors newbie

Today I installed the latest Microsoft Intellipoint mouse driver on my brand new iMac (2 GHz, Core2Duo, 2GB memory, running Leopard). After successfully installing the driver, the computer notified me that it was updating the boot caches and would restart momentarily.

Well, it restarted, but the system hangs at the opening white screen. The apple logo never appears. I finally turned off the computer after about 15 minutes and restarted in Safe Mode. I checked and repaired permissions, and then tried to reboot. Same thing happens... it hangs on the opening white screen.

I'm typing this now as I work in Safe Mode. What can I do to repair this issue? My boss will go ballistic if he hears that I've somehow screwed up a one-day old computer by installing a mouse driver.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can impart,
    Trito

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I didn't think it was possible, but MS even screws up MAC's...

Sorry to hear about that problem, but I'd do what he mentioned. Uninstall the drivers, take the Mouse back for a refund, and get something else...

4. tritogeneia thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I already did uninstall the mouse, and as is the norm for Leopard, it once again gave me the "Updating boot caches" message. And once again, upon rebooting, it stuck on the opening white screen. I had to reboot to Safe Mode again.

For what it's worth, I use the same mouse and driver on my personal Macbook Pro running Leopard, and haven't had a bit of trouble.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!
    Trito

5. hodgjy macrumors 6502

The nice thing about having a problem on a one-day old computer is you can recover very easily. Your computer came with restore DVDs. After you're sure all of your data is backed up (which shouldn't be much new stuff after 1 day), erase and install your Mac back to they way it came from the factory. It takes about an hour. You can also do a custom install and save several gb's by not installing languages and printer drivers you'll never need.

6. tritogeneia thread starter macrumors newbie

Normally I would agree with you, but it's not quite so simple a situation, unfortunately. While it's a one-day old computer, it was replacing an older one, and we spent considerable time yesterday moving all the data from the old machine to the new one. (And the old machine has already been wiped clean and has left the building.)

The bottom line is this: I'm trying to avoid a reinstall because I would prefer not having to tell my boss that a mouse driver screwed up his new computer. I don't have access to the install DVD; it's locked in the boss's office.

I have Disk Warrior at home, which I'm planning to bring in tomorrow morning (as well as my personal Leopard DVD). Anyone think that might help? I've never had an issue with boot caches before. I'm in the weeds here.

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

You should boot in verbose mode. It might give you a clue. It may also send you on a wild goose chase.

Hold down Command-V when you turn on the computer.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I've used in terminal ...

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache

when the boot cache fails to update, which can be seen by a lot of dyld stall/restarts in the log.

Edit: but definitely remove that driver from the machine and check to make sure that it didn't install a login/startup application.

9. tritogeneia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Amdahl and Sun Baked! I'll give your ideas a go and see what happens.

Trito