Failed GOP candidate sues Fox Sports for religious discrimination

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 27, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Karma= Starting a faux 'War on Christianity' on your news network and getting sued for religious discrimination.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/...tm_campaign=Feed:+TheRawStory+(The+Raw+Story)

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I hope he wins. That is pretty lame to get fired over a comment like that. Especially if it was made before he was even hired.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

He was not working in a back office somewhere. When he appears on the air, the company has a right not to be associated with his disgusting, immoral beliefs.

Everyone has a RIGHT to be an anti-gay bigot. They do NOT have the right to still be considered fit to associate with decent, moral people.

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It's also pretty lame to be a candidate for a political office and be completely ignorant of the definition of "religious freedom".

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think they do have a right to fire someone over comments they make since the broadcasting company should be able to decide what sort of messages they want to send out. However since it appears he said this before he was hired in the first place, it seems wrong for them to have hired him and ignored it at the time, and then it suddenly becomes an issue.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

FAUX is in trouble, as the alleged statement was made at a time of political candidacy, when everything said is pure fiction.

:rolleyes:

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Everyone is on pins and needles over this issue. All because someone morally disagrees with someones lifestyle they are now labeled a hater and bigot and get fired.

I certainly think he should of not said those things in a public setting like that but now all of a sudden what someone said in the past is used against him now all of a sudden. Things like this and the whole Paula Dean mess are being blown way out of proportion.

So now this guy is a bigot and hater and it will follow him everywhere for the rest of his life.

The fact is many people don't agree with homosexuality. That will never change. I for one think it is morally wrong. Oh no I'm a bigot and hater now. But I'll tell you in the same breath that I could give a rats ass what *you* do with someone else and I don't agree with all these proposed laws citing religious freedom for businesses to be able to openly tell you to go elsewhere because your business is not wanted here.

----------

Not agreeing with homosexuality is not disgusting nor are they immoral beliefs. It only becomes bigoted and hatred when you use your believes to oppress someone in gaining the same right as you.

I don't believe in homosexuality. It is not *normal* to me but I in no way would not allow you to have the same right to marry as me. Does that make me a hater, bigot and anti-gay?

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Saying you don't homosexuality is normal is like saying you don't believe being black or Chinese is normal. It's a stupid, hateful and offensive thing to say, and this guy should've thought about that before opening his mouth.

9. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Sorry but skin color or ethnicity has nothing to do with you mental state of who you are attracted to. Most all people in this world are heterosexual hence that being the *normal* state. Anything outside of that is *not normal* and one could argue it is a mental illness.

10. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

A mental illness? :rolleyes:

Good luck with that argument... And you wonder why so many who spew this line of thinking are labeled as ignorant bigots and haters?

It's one thing to "disagree" with something we have no control over, but to add being absolutely offensive on top of it?

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Well, yeah, if they're saying that stuff "on the clock" or on the air. They can think/hate on whatever they want, they just can't air it on the job if their job requires it. e.g. Duck Dynasty guy.

Proportion is in the eye of the beholder.

Why, it's almost as if actions have consequences!

Well, I do think you're a bigot and hater, but that's your right. But thank you for your rationality on "religious freedom" laws. I mean that sincerely.

So I guy who says "I hate coons/*******/etc and believe them to be subhuman mongrels, but I believe they have a right to equal protection under the law" is not a bigot?

----------

About 106 boys are born for every 100 girls, therefore male is the *normal* gender and females are just "ill".

Christians who are a minority faith in the country they reside in are not normal, and probably mentally ill.

Shall I go on?

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

And, Han Chinese are the largest ethnic group in the world, comprising 18 percent of the total world population. By the above logic, the *normal* state is to be Chinese and to speak Mandarin (14.1 percent of the world population), Hindi (8.5 percent), or Spanish (5.85 percent) rather than English (5.52 percent).

If you require a plurality, fully 60 percent of the world's population lives in Asia. So living in the Americas is apparently *not normal.*

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

This is probably one of the worst things I've read on this forum. Congratulations.

One might further argue that people who believe an invisible being in the sky controls their destiny and every detail of life have a mental illness, but that wouldn't be right now, would it?

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Whatever was violated was not his religious freedom, which btw does not include spouting faith based hate.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

There are as many gay people as there are left handers FYI. We don't consider left handed a "mental illness".

Also gay is not a choice. The entire gay community will tell you that and science has proven that.

That being said I think its harsh to fire someone for something said before they were hired however I can understand Fox's point of not wanting that kind of person to represent their station (even though its a bit weird since he fits right in).

16. Huntn, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Are you trolling? This really seems to far out there to be serious. :p

I'm amazed you got 2 ups for this seriously flawed argument. So if 80% of humans like vanilla ice cream, the other 20% prefer chocolate, they would be outside of a "normal state" and mentally I'll? I guess sexual preference is more significant than the flavor of ice cream... :rolleyes:

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

By that astounding logic in the quote above, any characteristic not in the majority is "abnormal". Not "in the minority", or an "expectable variation"...no, it's abnormal.

So left handed people are abnormal, and red haired people are abnormal, anyone with eye color other than brown are abnormal and, by 2043 ,it is estimated that Caucasians will be in the minority in the US, and therefore, by the amazing logic in the post above...will be abnormal.

Please provide a scientific source the completely incorrect...outrageously incorrect...wildly incorrect...assertion that LBGT is a mental illness. No...it could not be so argued.

Bigoted opinions are, of course, up to the individual. To assert that there is any logic in the quote above indicates an absence of any comprehension of the concept of "logic".

And I love the word "hence"...:p

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There are other things beyond that. Describing normal by world view is fairly illogical. Beyond that even if he considered it a mental illness in spite of the remarkably fallacious logic there, the desire to ostracize people that he considers mentally ill is just mean.

19. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

It's tough to find a rational reason for bigotry.

20. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

One could also argue that it is now 2014 and that you're crazy.

21. vega07 macrumors 65816

WTF? How long have you been frequenting the MR forums? At times, I think we make really nice social progress here on this forum. And then we get comments like yours that set MR back a thousand years.

----------

Amen.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You mean like the whole Obama and Reverend Wright thing?