Failed NY car bomb not linked to al-Qaeda

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Schtumple, May 3, 2010.

1. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

BBC News

Am I the only person who immediately thought this could've been some utterly deranged Tea Party member? Would certainly put their 'movement' on the map.

2. Queso macrumors G4

I'll prepared to wait and see. After the 11-M bombings in Madrid the Spanish government originally blamed ETA. It was only a few days later that the truth began to emerge.

BTW, is it just me or is the BBC website all messed up when viewed in Firefox this morning?

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

So wait... if Rush blames ELF or some other leftist group for the oil rig explosion its crazy, but its totally good to blame the tea party with no evidence for a failed bombing. k.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Neither is particularly acceptable. But did Limbaugh seriously imply that ELF were behind a major environmental disaster? Yeah, that passes the logic test :rolleyes:

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If its not an islamic terror group isn't it likely to be some sort of US white supremacist group?

Certainly saying that the white supremacist group is part of the tea party is probably going a little far.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's just as likely that this is an individual acting alone with a grudge against the government, or NYC or the country--but who knows. Remember the guy who flew his plane into an IRS office building because he didn't want to pay taxes? People are nuts--I hope they catch whoever did this soon.

If it *is* someone acting on behalf of homegrown group--it will be worse than if Al Qaeda had been responsible.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good point.

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

It appears the current prime suspect is not linked to a shirt, either.

link

9. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I'll say one thing about that pilot, in a way he got his wish since a dead man doesn't have to pay taxes.

As for the car bomber this is more of an embarrassment to any organization that it is actually tied with--the fertilizer used was organic no heavy concentrations of nitrates just processed pig ****. I can imagine any groups reaction:

If it were Arab Radicals:
    "The guy used what? No we don't know him!--Kahleel! Shred his job application and pay stubs before the Army gets here and finds out! Or our sleeper cell will be the laughing stock of Al Queda!"

If it were Home grown:
    "Whutcha mean the van burned up? You used what? Dammit Bubba git yer hide back to the compund we got a Klan meetin at 7!"

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's hope that this is just some crackpot acting alone.

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Hmm, a radio shock jock with an audience in the millions vs some pseudonymous guy in a thread with (at this moment) 120 views. Yes, I see how that's equivalent.

And no, it's not ok to make assumptions about who planted the bomb.

12. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I see very little difference between the average lone crackpot and any organized group of crackpots myself.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Organized groups may be able to muster slightly more intelligence and actually get a working bomb. It also implies that there may be more out there. Its probably some single loonie with a grudge.

14. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

This is different than a group of loonies with a grudge how though?

15. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Here's what scares me: It's apparently pretty easy to park your unattended car bomb in the middle of a crowded area.

So what's to stop someone from leaving an unattended U-Haul filled with explosives parked by a shopping mall? Or downtown?

For that matter, what's to stop a suicide bomber from detonating in one of New York's subways?

And why hasn't this happened more often?

Now I'm sure I'm not the first to think of these scenarios. And there are people far smarter than me who are out there trying to prevent these scenarios from ever coming to fruition.

But buying some fertilizer, propane tanks, components from Radio Shack, crafting a homemade bomb, and parking inconspicuously in a densely populated area seems rather difficult to detect, much less prevent.

And yeah - that keeps me up at night.

16. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

You are seriously underestimating the work of intelligence agencies.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think you should treat it in a similar regard to the risk that you could get run over by a bus.

You've got to live your life regardless.

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Like I said, an organized group may be able to make a working bomb as assembled groups can gain knowledge from each member and build on each members strengths. One single nutter must rely on his limited resources.

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    The guy/group is still out there. Along with the intent to kill. That'd play on my mind if I was out commuting in NY every day...

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

if a random person of at least moderate intelligence is determined to do something like you mentioned, it would be completely un-preventable.

luckily, persons of at least moderate intelligence tend to not pull this ****.

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

why? even assuming that whoever is responsible for this was willing to try again, they'd likely change objective now.
    And even if it it was a deranged cavs fan trying to keep LeBron in Cleveland, New york is a pretty big place anyway. any corner could be a target, or train, bus, mall. Anywhere.
    You can't prevent a loony loner to do something like this, and you can't let them dictate your life. Just hope that if they try, they make some mistake so either they get caught before, or the plan doesn't work, like this.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I actually don't think there's a much better answer than this -- that most people are not sociopaths. The same argument is made repeatedly about serial killing (that an intelligent person could probably kill a very large number of people without / before being discovered).

Thank God, or evolution. Take your pick. ;)

As for the rest of this, I'll wait and see what we do find out. That Hutaree business, which happened much closer to my doorstep, emphasizes that there are poorly-understood groups engaging in radicalization of our people on our soil. Whether this is another example or not, we need to understand this stuff better.

23. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

What if combined IQ's still don't reach the double digits? LOL

As to the worrying about this guy/or group, I still sleep pretty good hell a million terrorists could be after me and I'd still sleep good.

24. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

The AP report just came in about an hour ago:

I am not going to say it was a huge plot though right away but signs seem to indicate a foreign connection.

25. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I watched CNN so clearly no. I mean, in the first 100 seconds, I knew that it was a guy from some Middle Eastern countries, who happened to come back from his own country. Oh wait, they had not started the investigation already? Darn it CNN, they're too good.

Man, I was ashamed to watch CNN on that day: drawing conclusions left and right, with some called "experts" on the matter..