Failing to see the relevance of Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Risco, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

First off I own one and love Apple ( just look at my sig! ) but I am failing to see why I need an Apple TV anymore. This is the second new Apple product that I have skipped including the Apple Watch. Is Apples magic failing?

• No 4k support - TV prices have plummeted which means it will go mainstream in then next 12 months.
    • Most AV Receiver such as my Sony 1050 can use airplay and it is MUCH easier to use the iPhone / iPad to control my music than an Apple TV - plus I can still watch TV!
    • No DTS support
    • No Amazon prime movies ( yeah I know, it will never happen! )
    Now if Apple made a REAL TV with built in ATV then I would be all over it as it would be fully integrated. Will it ever happen?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think that 4k support and DTS support are low on the priority list of the mass-market that Apple is aiming for. If Apple were to release a 4k AppleTV today, there would be a reasonable expectation that a good portion of their library be available to take advantage of it somehow, which is just not the case. The Amazon thing seems to be Amazon's doing, not Apple's. I know it's not the same thing, but Airplay-ing the app from iOS works fine (although Amazon really dragged their feet on that as well, leaving it in a non-optimal state for years).

The new ATV isn't what tech geeks would have dreamed of, but it's probably intended to get the ball rolling for the ATV app store which is what could make or break the platform in the long-run. Will it take off like iOS or wither on the vine like the Mac App store? Time will tell.

3. machtv macrumors regular

if you want 4k the new roku supports 4k content. tho there isn't any 4k content yet that i know of.