Failure in Afghanistan risks rise in terror, say generals

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 14, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

observer

this is the Nightmare Scenario, imho. i always thought, post-9/11 anyway, that the easiest way for AQ/Taleban to get nukes was to overthrow musharraf. boom, insta-access to nukes. and already loaded onto missiles.

i really really hope some combination of British Special Forces, MI-6, CIA, and US Special Forces already have some plans to grab/disable those nukes in the event of. you know, like in the movies.

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

damn, you're busy today, Zimv. bin laden was the prize, and we took our eye off it.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Even if we can grab the nukes, what next? We're having such ease dealing with 32 million Afghanistanis and 27 million Iraqis, 167 million Pakistanis will be a breeze.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah, I almost forgot this was PRSI forum and it had magically turned into zimv's own personal blog.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm starting to think Bush really is trying to start Armageddon, because nobody is this incompetent.

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

ABC News

7. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

..or prevent it, but of course those brilliant democrats do have the solution.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Is that what that all nighter is all about? Have they negotiated the terms of our surrender yet?

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Are you buying into the cheerleading all the way from the netherlands now?

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Geography has nothing to do with opinion in this forum. Unless we should take your opinion with a grain of salt because you live in kangarooland. :)

11. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

To be honest, I am sceptical both ways, politics only go that far.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No one has the solution. There is no solution. Bush got us stuck in so deep, we're screwed no matter what. They're screwed no matter what. And the longer we're there, the more we do, the worse it gets.

At least some of us can admit that.

Surrender to who? Are we going to have to go over this about Al Qaida again, because frankly it's getting tiresome. They're only a very small, as in single digits, percentage of the people fighting us in Iraq. Even then, they aren't the same people who attacked us on 9/11. Those folks are still out there because we pulled resources to go to Iraq, which had nothing to do with anything and were not a threat to us. If anything, they are gaining support because of our mistakes in Iraq, and we're more vulnerable that ever. Or is this about Iran, which also has nothing to do with anything and if anything we're also helping.

But since the latest reason is to help the Iraqis, and they want us to leave, and it's pretty much well known by everyone there is no way for this to end well, what are you talking about?

13. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

Could it not be said that the main problem in Iraq is that these Sunni's and Shiites (together the majority) do not appreciate freedom at all? What the US did is remove a corrupt and dangerous regime only to find out that the alternative is even worse. In hindsight does Iraq deserve anything better then Houssein? The destructive mindset of the numerous Islamic groups is in my opinion the real problem in Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Syria,libanon and Iran. I do agree with you, that the US should get out of Iraq, but that does not solve the thread that comes out of that region of the world.

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

They were a threat according to the intelligence sources through three administrations.

We will fight Al Qaida where ever they reside. It will continue through the next administration and the next until we kill so many that they can't recruit enough troops anymore.

15. Queso macrumors G4

Or the USA bankrupts itself, which is a far more likely outcome going by the current rate of spend.

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yeah, count on that. If anything entitlement spending would dry up before funding for defense.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Right, because Americans all think like you, don't they?

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

About half do. :)

19. Queso macrumors G4

I think you're being a little generous there. Besides, if you think cutting the laughably tiny amount of social programs the US has in place will shave enough off the federal budget to pay for constant war you've got a shock coming.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Including government retirement funds for Republicans who served in federal positions?

21. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

In this state our retirements are self funded through 403B plans. The only people receiving pensions at the state level are politicians!

If I could give up social security in exchange for not having to pay into it anymore even at this late stage in my working career, I'd sign up in an instant. I could do a heck of a lot better with 15% of my income than I'll ever get out of that program.

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Hmmm, defense is considered entitlement spending by a great deal of American businesses.

The first rule of war is that it's all about money.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Al Qaeda in Iraq" did not even exist during the previous two administrations. As for Hussein, we all know how accurate the intelligence about him was.

Dream on. The more you kill, the more you recruit.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly my point. Pay attention please.

Because you are an island of course. SS couldn't possibly indirectly benefit you. :rolleyes:

25. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Well, the intelligence was that he was a brute, a saddist and a murderer - that part was right. It was the intelligence about his war-making ability that was the issue. If he had actually possessed the weapons he clearly wanted throughout the 90s, recent events MAY have been kinder to Bush, at least he wouldn't have had to seek gainful employment in the information fabrication industry.

As far killing Al Qaidas=more recruits, that's always been a fact of war. One that you have to be willing to risk. Japan makes war on US, then american boys gleefully line up to wear khaki. US declares war on germany, then tens of thousands of german decide to make the US eat schnitzel. It's age old game.