Faint hissing/buzzing noise near screen on mid-2009 MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkozlow3, May 7, 2010.

1. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I never noticed this until I used my MBP on glass table in a quiet room yesterday, but there is a faint hissing/buzzing noise if I put my ear near the lower left side of the screen - where all the ports are.

It happens regardless of whether it's running on power or battery, but if the room is quiet it can be heard if you put your ear near the lower left side of the screen.

I have an SSD (silent) hard drive and I'm sure it's not the fan.

Any ideas? Can others listen carefully for this faint hissing/buzzing and let me know if you notice anything?

If this is something that should be looked at by Apple, what's the procedure? I have Applecare...would they replace my laptop with a new model or send it in for repair? What do I do for a computer in the meantime if they send it in?

Thanks!

2. jkozlow3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. RobbieTT macrumors member

It's been known to happen and if it bugs you then get it fixed. You should find a few threads on this subject if you try a search.

4. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

OS X turns off the speakers after some minutes (2 if I remember right) and turns them back on once a sound is played.

I noticed buzzing/whine coming from the internal speakers of my 2009 MBP 17" when any external sound interface (Firewire/USB) is connected and the frequency/tone of the whine was depending on the audiobuffer size being set for the external interface. Maybe other Firewire/USB devices affects this as well.

Plugging out the power-supply (running on battery) might help. Some of the noise might come from the area where the power-supply and Firewire port send their current through.