Fair price for someone standing in line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kbuck1984, Sep 17, 2013.

1. kbuck1984 macrumors member

Should I pay someone to stand in line overnight for me to guarantee a 5s. I won't be able to get there until 3-5am because of my job. What is a fair price for this service? I am in Hawaii if the location matters, we have 3 Apple stores here.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why don't you just order one online?

I don't know about Hawaii, but here in China, I think I only need to pay someone like $20 :p

3. Macalway macrumors 68000

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Find a homeless person and make an offer they cannot refuse:D

5. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

If this is such an important part of your life... maybe you should consider reevaluating your priorities.

It's a phone. Buy it online or something. Go the next day. What's a day or two difference?

I HATE this part of society most times.

Ol' what's-his-name who got famous in 1995 had the right idea to start hating technology...

It's turning people STUPID. (among other contributors)

6. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

If you're talking about a homeless or transient then be respectful and pay at least $10/hr, get them some coffee and a meal and a chair to sit in. If it's a close friend buy them a beer. If it's someone replying to a Craigslist ad just ask them to name their hourly price and they get paid when you show back up. I'm about 50/50 on the ethics.. The angel side says "if you can't be there don't take a spot this way" the devil says "mom/dad/friend/employee or yourself it doesn't matter who is there, anyone behind you could have gotten there sooner or do like you and pay someone.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

They can't go early because of their job... sounds like they have their priorities in order.

For all you know, they're currently without a phone and don't feel like waiting a week for it to arrive or care to spend the rest of their free time running around trying to find one- especially with the rumors of limited quantities.

$10/hour sound fair.

8. Macalway macrumors 68000

I wouldn't trust a homeless person. I've had too many wake up calls.

I do hate to say this. Just life.

9. kbuck1984 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. If I want to get it the day it comes out and someone wants to stand in line I see no issues. Doesn't affect you does it?

----------

Not the first time I've heard that lol. Not sure I want to. I feel like I'm taking advantage of them. We have a lot of homeless here.

10. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

You may be correct and I may have missed that part.

The idea still makes me roll my eyes, though...and want to shake my head disapprovingly while saying "you damn kids..." or something to that effect.

Whatevs. Carry on.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd never pay anyone to stand in line. I can wait.
    Rather use that money to go out... or even just buy accessories for your phone.

12. wxman2003 Suspended

For $10 an hour in Hawaii you are taking advantage of them. How much would YOU charge someone to stand in line for them? You know it's a lot more than $10 an hour. Treat people the way you want to be treated. If your time is worth $50 an hour, then pay them that amount.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I would be more concern about the person ripping you off from an iphone.

14. Spacial macrumors 6502

Tell your boss you're taking the time for an iPhone. That will be fully understood. It's not everyday you get that privilege for free. Next year they may charge to line up.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's going too far IMO.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah right.
    And then you'd end up paying $500-600 just for for that.
    I'm sure you can find someone on CL to stay in line for 7-8 hours for around $60-100. I know people will save your place in line at my local DMV for $20 so you don't have to wait 4-5 hours. They will just text you when your number is coming up soon.
    There's plenty of unemployed people with much free time that wouldn't mind hanging out at the mall for a decent amount.

17. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

$10 is above Hawaiian minimum wage, to STAND IN A LINE. $50 an hour? Can I come mow your lawn and take out your trash? If I had available time I would seriously stand in line for someone for $10 an hour and feel juuuust fine about it (and yes, I make quite a bit more than that at my regular job, but to stand in a line? Zero prerequisite skills required, I could read a book, meet some folks and walk away with my monthly gas bill paid for.

18. falcora macrumors 6502

$50/hr equates to a $96,000.00 full time salary, at 40 hrs/week, 48 weeks/yr. Last I checked, people don't get paid that kind of money to do menial tasks like stand/sit/sleep in an iPhone line. At least in the US the only people who make that kind of money are doctors and engineers, and people who are at the very top of their field.

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Prob someone on CL would do it for $50. Just make sure the person did show up and pay them when you get there in the morning when you go get your phone.

20. mepsi, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

mepsi macrumors newbie

Because we know delays are coming. And within a certain period of time, if I don't have my phone, my life will go to shambles.

21. BConvery macrumors regular

This is a joke right? $50 an hour for time they'd spend watching Maury?!

22. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Hold a gun to his head, and have your father assure him that either his brains or he will be on in line for you?

[​IMG]

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    Anything for Don Corleone:D

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Generally speaking, you can go by what minimum wage is, which is well under $10/hour in most states (Hawaii it's $7.25, just checked). Not sure how $10 an hour would be taking advantage of anyone... Why would I pay someone what I make hourly as a doctor to stand in line for me. That's just... ridiculous.

25. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I hope the people you just described average more than 96k a year.