Fairing with 16gigs iPhone 6 & the power of unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nouveau-apple, Dec 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

I console apps to be gateways to the outside world. It's not about the amount of gigabytes. It's how you use it.

Unlimited data is a gift. Why waste it. I've used 40GB of data this month.

I'm haven't run into any issues.

Attached Files:

2. DaBossIsHere macrumors regular

When you are going to update to next iOS, we'll talk again. :p

3. bizack macrumors 6502

This makes no sense. What if you, say, want to download multiple movies to watch offline? What if you want to download a lot of music to listen to offline?

When you purchase a laptop, do you buy the least amount of storage offered? And at least on most laptops, you can upgrade storage after purchase. With an iPhone, you're stuck with what you have until your next phone purchase.

4. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

You're lucky to have unlimited data :)

However even if I had unlimited data I'd still get a 128GB iPhone simply because there are places where I do not get cellular coverage, for example on the tube (subway) which I take every day to get to work. Plus I'm a hoarder lol

However 16 GB is perfectly useable for a lot of people, even if they don't have unlimited data.

5. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

I have unlimited data and a 16 gig iPhone 6, and I have no problem. But if I want to watch a movie I have a 46 inch tv that works much better.

6. bushido Suspended

bushido

Lucky. I get 1GB over here and people give me jealous looks when they hear I have more than the average 500mb a month lol

Plus there's only like one or two bars of edge or even gprs in many places I frequently pass through

7. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

I have 16GB and I'm perfectly fine with it. I'd like to have more but then I'd just do stuff with it just because I have it and not necessarily because it's adding value to my 6 Plus experience.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Everyone has their own needs but I got almost 55GB of music and photos and I want to take it all with me. 128GB was the only option for me.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

We'll see when you want to do an OTA update of iOS. I'll laugh.

You'll need at least 5-6GB of free space on your device, or even more, just to perform an OTA update.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. I can get away with a 16gb device because I have 10GB free. IOS 8 was a 5GB download, so you need at least that.

Basically this thread just proves how hard it really is to get away with only 16gb.

16gb comes with 12 useable and you need another 5-6 for updates. You really need to be able to survive with 6GB

11. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already updated my phone twice. All you need is a couple MB to have an updated iOS.

But heres the thing. I depend on unlimited data. They give it to you so you might as well use it.

Go by the saying: If you don't have cellular coverage you're probably in a brick building. One with Wi-Fi.

The amount of times I ran into issues where I was totally without anything was like 2% and even with that you can always save what you really want to hear.

I think streaming opens up more possibiliies.

I've always seen apps as windows of opportunity. They shouldn't take up tons of space.

If you're a creator, which I am a person that's making music and videos from their iPhone then you would need a discernible amount of space.

About 32 would've been the ideal for me, but since it was replaced, I took it as an opportunity to save money.

You're missing out by not getting the 16.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

*cough* you sure?

Point updates (like 8.0.2 to 8.1) don't count.

I'm talking about major updates (like iOS 7 to iOS 8, or iOS 8 to iOS 9 in the future).

iOS 7 to iOS 8 needed at least 5-6GB free.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have unlimited data on T-Mobile as well, and I still have a 128GB iPhone and iPad, both of which are around 60-65% full.

Unlimited data is a nice thing. But even as someone who uses and generally likes T-Mobile, I'm also fully aware of its limitations. It's certainly no AT&T, and I wouldn't depend on it for all my streaming needs.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Glad you can get away with just 16GB, OP. But other people have different needs than you do.

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Good luck taking that tv on a flight with you :rolleyes:

Even going from 8.0 to 8.1 took about 2-3GB I think.

I agree, by the way awesome signature.

I feel like people who post these are trying to convince themselves that 16GB is fine. I'm glad it works, but others said, good luck updating you OS. I had a 16GB and unlimited at one time and I felt I was wasting more time juggling apps, pictures, and music than enjoying my iPhone.

People see time as money also, like I do. With only $100 difference in price, I feel that the 64GB is a great deal. I don't have to upload pictures to get space to take more pictures, manage my music as much, and I can put a few movies on my phone for a flight if I want.

16. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

It might look like I'm trying to convince myself. But I'm trying to spread the word. I know other people are doing this.

The benefits of cloud storing your music are great and many.

You hear stories all the time about people losing their music because it want safely stored.

17. CEmajr macrumors 601

I have iTunes Match and unlimited data but still need more than 16GB due to my apps and Photo Library. I don't like deleting pictures and videos that I record. I do enjoy the fact that iTunes Match allows me to have access to my entire iTunes Library at all times though.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

My music is backed up with Google play music, is on my laptop and also on a few micro SD cards but I still prefer to store it locally. The same goes for my pictures.

19. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I use iTunes Match and that is a cloud storage, but I have it backed up on my computer and that is backed up again. Cloud storage doesn't mean you're 100% safe from losing your music, you still need a back up.

Even with pictures when I had my 16GB, I would use OneDrive to move them to it, but I then moved the pictures to my computer. I just got tired of doing this all the time and wasn't enjoying it. Yes, I saved $100 ($200 at the time for a 64GB when I had an iPhone 5s), but for me it wasn't worth it.

Same here. I have iTunes Match now and I had it when I have my 16GB iPhone, and it was still a pain to manage my music. I love I can access all my music at any time, but I like to keep in on my phone and not stream it (and not because I don't have unlimited anymore, it kills the battery a lot faster and I don't have cell service 100% of the time).

20. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of course it was a pain to manage your music. That's itunes. iTunes is crap For this to work, you have to use google play music. It's a must and its #1 in music.

I reject iTunes. I will never use iTunes again.

21. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

It was only a pain because I had to delete music off my phone to out more on. I would probably have the same issue with Google music play. Other than that, I love iTunes Match. I have zero issues with iTunes and the music app on the phone, why would I use anything else? It's not a must and I highly doubt it's #1 in music.

22. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I have yet to get an iPhone 6 for a variety of reasons (first was low supply, then couldn't decide between a 6 and 6 Plus, then I started doing more investments with my money in addition to the holidays upcoming, and lastly my 4S still works like a champ supplemented by my trusty iPad mini). Since we've now moved to the mobile share 15GB plan (got the extra 5GB from that at&t promotion, and yes I gave up unlimited data but my family hardly uses their data and wifi is literally almost everywhere I frequent for school, work and leisure), I've been eyeing the 6 or 6 Plus refurbs (my last three iPhones since the 3G were AT&T refurbs in which I purchased AppleCare for and haven't had any major problems). The monthly payments are a bit less and it'll be less to pay off in full later. But since it's a $100 savings for AT&T, the 64GB models are now pretty appealing.

If you can find a deal to pay just about the same for a 64GB as you would 16GB, seems pretty smart to go ahead and get the higher capacity. Other than that, if you can manage (and I have with 16GB on everything for years), it won't hamper many iOS experiences too much, either.

23. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

No problem, I just take my Chromebook with me on flights. 13.3" is a lot better than 4.7".:D

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

What does having unlimited data have to do with how much space you have on your phone?

25. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I believe the op streams most of his content which therefore doesn't need more space. A lot of people here though are storage whores that want that extra room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.