Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
COMPUTERWORLD
Fueled by the ongoing legal battle between Unix vendor The SCO Group Inc. and IBM, someone in the open-source community has apparently decided that the whole situation is a mockery in need of mocking.

In the past several weeks, a fake e-mail has been circulating and has been posted on numerous Web lists that purportedly comes from the keyboard of SCO CEO Darl McBride himself. The parody mimics the so-called Nigerian e-mail scam, which regularly appears in in-boxes everywhere, right down to the all-caps delivery and the tearful pleas for help.

DEAR SIR/MADAM:

I AM MR DARL MCBRIDE CURRENTLY SERVING AS THE PRESIDENT AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER OF THE SCO GROUP, FORMERLY KNOWN AS CALDERA SYSTEMS INTERNATIONAL, IN LINDON, UTAH, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I KNOW THIS LETTER MIGHT SURPRISE YOU BECAUSE WE HAVE HAD NO PREVIOUS COMMUNICATIONS OR BUSINESS DEALINGS BEFORE NOW.

MY ASSOCIATES HAVE RECENTLY MADE CLAIM TO COMPUTER SOFTWARES [sic] WORTH AN ESTIMATED $1 BILLION U.S. DOLLARS. I AM WRITING TO YOU IN CONFIDENCE BECAUSE WE URGENTLY REQUIRE YOUR ASSISTANCE TO OBTAIN THESE FUNDS. ...
Worth reading! But try not to send them your bank account number.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It seem like almost every chain letter I get from a friend has a personal note at the top saying "I don't normally forward jokes (or chain letters, or dire warnings, or political pleas) but this one is an exception." I've lost count of the number of times that I've replied "this joke list has been circulating for years, or this chain letter or dire warning is a hoax and you should stop circulating it", but of course it is too late by then since they've already sent it to everyone they know. Maybe we need a national "do not be my friend" list where you can register if you don't want people to send you such stuff! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.