Fake News for Dummies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Jan 11, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Imagine you are a huge Chicago Cubs fan. Basking in the glow and excitement of winning the 2016 World Series. Congratulations!

But say, in the off-season, one of the star players is arrested for domestic violence.

It's not "fake news" if the New York Times reports that story.

Spring training is over. The Cubs get off to a good start, winning five of their first seven games. But then they go on a six-game losing streak.

It's not "fake news" if The Los Angeles Times publishes Division standings, showing the Cubs with a 5-8 record.

The same newspapers that reported the Cubs victories, also report on their losses. That's the way real journalism is done. You might not like to hear about your team's losses, their mistakes, and disappointments - but just you don't like the news, doesn't make it "fake."

What IS "fake news"? Some website you've never heard of publishes a (totally fabricated) story about a Yankee player being arrested for drug possession. One they hope you'll click on, and share with all your friends so that the story goes "viral" and they can make money off advertising clicks.

Sports journalism is perhaps a little more "cut and dried" than political journalism. Each game ends with a score, according to mutually agreed upon rules. Politics is perhaps a bit more complicated, and it's sometimes harder to see how decisions and policies play out in the real world. Tax and spending bills often rely on economic and government statistics and analysis to give us any idea if the policy was a good one or not. Sometimes the results of policies take months or years to play out.

But that still doesn't make it "fake news" to report results that you disagree with. What makes if "fake news" is deliberate intention of reporting provably false information.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL about a year ago I sent an old recipe for lentil burgers to a friend in Long Island... not a link but a photocopy of a printed text document I had made up, as an adaptation of a recipe I saw in a hard copy of the NYT. Out of habit, even though the doc was for personal use, I had originally typed at the top "adapted from a 1997 recipe in the New York Times" or something like that.

So awhile back, talking with the same friend on the phone, I mentioned something about cooking lentils and lamb with mushrooms. She lowered her voice and said oh by the way could I send her that recipe for lentil veggie burgers again sometime. I said sure, why not and I laughed, like, what, you spilled something on it?, happens to me all the time.

She said no, it was that her husband found it on the counter, berated her and threw it away because it "came from the New York Times". Seriously? It actually came from a Yankee up in the boondocks since it was adapted to my own taste afer I had made it a few times. But no, it had the magic words on it, so it went straight into the trash.

I sent my friend another copy with the top lines cut off. Apologies to the Times.

It's to weep, really. I think of all the great stuff I've found in the Times since I was a kid that has nothing whatsoever to do with politics, from baseball to butterflies and back. Well at least when I was casting about for whom to give the last two NYT gift subs to last fall, I didn't happen to email that couple and ask if they wanted one. Fireworks may have ensued!

Why are we afraid of ideas that are not our own?

Why does Donald Trump say he won't pick a nominee for the Court who will become "weak" when he assures supporters he will choose a conservative? Does he mean moderate? How is a person of moderate views weak? A country, a justice... is not allowed to grow?

Why is it fake news to report that a Trump nominee appears to have plagiarized material for severak works she claimed to have authored?

The media have to fight back on these crocks when the far right tries to peg mainstream news reporting as "fake" or biased. A paper can make errors but it's not right to try to discedit news reporting by conflating the drift of editorial opinion or analysis with straight news pieees when the drift is not there in the latter.

And what on earth does politics have to do with a recipe for lentil burgers. I know lots of conservatives who like them!

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Even the NYT admitted biased against trump. :D
    You guys are the new "birthers" and you don't even see it

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Birthers told straight up lies about Obama for eight years.

Don't make the mistake of thinking the Times does not report facts about Donald Turmp.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL... what?! a correction to my post, because of my lack of deference...?

Or you think the Times should put it in quotes for four years.

"President Trump" today announced that in light of recent developments,,,,,

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Nothing to do with your post. Those two words just make me chortle.

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

Haha, I was just thinking that this morning.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm probably not ready for how I'll feel when I read it in print in a newspaper. Somehow if a news anchor read the words off a teleprompter it would seem more like a news-oriented sitcom. Surreal, possibly hilarious, depending on what the rest of script said. But to read it in print in a paper will be sort of like cold black coffee to me. Wakeup call, it's really happening. I don't even launch my inauguration countdown any more. Someplace today I posted "in ten more days" or something. It's not even ten. It's after EIGHT more days.

Maybe he'll be a great president!

10. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

This thread is too rich, after @vrDrew get's trolled by Slate/Buzzfeed/CNN and runs with an obviously fake story about a Golden Shower party in a Russian hotel, the nerve to lecture us on what is, and is not "Fake News".

Like I said before Swift Lock Greens, it must only fake news when it reports false stories on liberals.

11. Eraserhead, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Difference between bias and lying...

I'm sure you're bias about guns. Doesn't mean you lie about them ;).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2017 ---
    I think "unverified" is more the truth about the golden shower claims ;). Personally I don't really care either way. If it's true then it's better it's public as it can't be used for blackmail. If it's false some people will look silly - especially Buzzfeed, but not CNN etc.

But I don't really care. It's sex. It's always odd.

12. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

massive respect if the donald still practices kinky sex at
    his age. should post videos.

13. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Well, if unverified is the only mantra of truth, anyone can say just about anything, doesn't mean it has any basis in fact.

Somehow I knew one of you Swift Lock Greens would jump in to defend that story with," Well you can't prove, or there is no evidence to prove that it is not true."

That's how low you will sink to get your shots in at you political opponents.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Definitely agree!

15. daflake macrumors 6502a

Umm... CNN was caught editing Trumps tweets to mold the story to their liking. That is not "unverified", that is flat out lying.

I don't read any of them anymore. Sad really...

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Doesn't mean it's definitely fake either ;). Look @steve knight said he took drugs across state lines, that's unverified - but I believe it ;).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2017 ---
    Source please :).

17. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Well, the Russians, supposedly, have video of the Obamas have sexual intercource with dogs.

Must be true, because I said supposedly, and you can't prove that it's not.

Do you see how low that is?

It's not as low as the Buzzfeed story, because you have me as a source, on the record.

If you're a newspaper editor, would you publish that story about the Obamas having sex with dogs?

The story about the Golden Shower has been floating around since July, and no one published it before the election, you need to be asking yourself why, rather than defending it with," Well, we can't prove it's not true, so it must not be fake news."

18. daflake macrumors 6502a

Me! I saw the original tweet calling Hillary a Crooked and then CNN changed it and omitted the slam all together. You can google it for yourself. It was a strange thing to do, but when a news outlet does things like this, they lose credibility in my book. CNN was very unbalanced during the election cycle. If they did this once, how many other times have they changed details of stories?

19. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

CNN/Buzzfeed/Slate and anyone else that published that slander and libel about Trump and his campaign, along with all those who refuse to see that it is patently false, "Fake News", have lost all creditability.

I mean, this so called report, claims that Michael Cohen met with Russians in Prague, and that allegation has been proven to be false, why would anyone, give any credibility to anything else contained in the report.

We have a word for unnamed sources that peddle patently false information, we call them liars.

20. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

we are living in interesting times. its like the damn matrix

21. daflake macrumors 6502a

More like a glitch in the Matrix.... :p

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Wake me up when the story about the dogs is in an intelligence briefing.

23. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

24. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I just don't see how you can't take in the fact that a sheriff got experts to review the certificate of live birth and found it to be a forgery. That's not a lie there. There is a real sheriff named Arpaio. He did do a press conference. It had 9 points of forgery and was compared with another Hawaii birth certificate from the same year.

On that note, if they released information on Trump, it would need to be validated but I wouldn't defend him without logic.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If it's really that worthless I presume you join the hippies with believing the three letter agencies should all be shut.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2017 ---
    Ta. I suspect they don't generally change stuff. Because Fox would call them out every time.