Falcon Heights Shooting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iHackPro, Jul 6, 2016.

1. iHackPro macrumors regular

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/07/06/police-officer-involved-shooting-in-falcon-heights/

What's the excuse this time? Was he resisting? Does he have a past that has nothing to do with the situation?

Video:

https://twitter.com/iTWEET_FromMarz/status/750905416033370112

2. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

3. LIVEFRMNYC, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Man in Baton Rouge shoot dead by police. The response ... "He should have complied, he should have told the officer he was carrying, he should have done this and that."

Man in Falcon Heights did everything correct he was supposed to do, even informed police of his LEGAL firearm. He still gets shot dead by police.

Both are black, no surprise.
    Happens frequently, check.
    Happens frequently to Black males, check.
    Is this a race issue, Oh come on now, don't be silly. This is only another isolated incident.

4. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I really don't know what to say. I don't think there are words to describe how sad this is.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Government was against the idea of armed blacks from the beginning. Nothing has really changed.

The 2nd Amendment is not for Negros and coloreds apparently.

6. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Now are people waking up? This is a serious issue. This black man was gunned down, even tho he did everything right. Reached for his ID and got shot. This is disgusting. Please stop living in a bubble people. Wake the F up and realize this **** is a problem. I'm absolutely disgusted. And the dude was shot in front of his kid. That, IMO, is the worst part of it all. That little girl had to watch her father die.

That child is gonna be scarred for life. Sickening and you're still gonna get people who will try and bring up the dude's past, just to justify the killing of him. Just sickening man

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It was so bad, after watching him get shot, the girlfriend was too scared to even show her natural emotion. Imagine watching your loved one get shot up, and you are forced to remain calm out of fear. That falls in the realm of a terrorist act.

9. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I don't see the incredibly biased media trying to label him as a thug or try to say he did something wrong.

From the facts that I've seen so far, he seems like a regular law abiding dude with a decent job and a family. Terrible tragedy.

10. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

It's frightening, to say the least bro. The dude was murdered. I feel terrible for the lady b/c you can hear the terror in her voice. She was scared for her life. I've said it time and time again, this scares me b/c this could be me.

Cops scare the hell out of me. And many minorities feel the same. And that's a damn problem. Cops shouldn't be feared. Respected? Yes. Feared? Hell no. Seriously one of my worst fears, is driving down a isolated road and being pulled over by a cop...and he just shoots me. No witnesses around, nothing
    --- Post Merged, Jul 7, 2016 ---
    Oh it's coming. Just give it time. Hell this is the same media who randomly brought up the father of the kid, who was in the gorilla pit, criminal past. As if that had anything to do with anything. Hell I don't even think he was at the zoo, when that **** happened

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Which is why I don't keep my insurance and registration in the glove box. I keep it in the pocket of my sun visor right above me. A shame that we have to think like that based on skin color.

12. sim667 macrumors 65816

Have you seen the videos?

Effectively what I saw was a Black man being pinned down by two white cops and executed at point blank.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Horrible. We don't have all the information, so let us not pre-judge, but the woman's story seems genuine and the officer who did the shooting sounds very upset, perhaps realising a mistake. The poor kid in the back seat... :(

14. pdqgp, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

It appears he did not do everything correct. You don't just self identify as to have a CCW on you and then go continuing to reach for anything. You identify as having a CCW and keep your hands in plain view until the officer tells you how to proceed. The woman describes pretty clearly at the end that he did not do that. supposedly he told the officer he had a CHL and his CCW on his person and then kept reaching.....that's a dumb move for anyone.

The cop has no idea if he's properly licensed at that point. He just knows that the guy said he has a firearm and saw the man continuing to reach for something. Interestingly the proper way to handle a traffic stop while armed is a big part of most any CHL class.You wait for the officers orders, which will very likely be to stay exactly where you are with your hands in plain view until his back up arrives which is common when a firearm is involved. Either way, the officer will instruct you as how to proceed. In this case the officer is shouting “I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his hands up.”

I'm sure dashcam or other video and details will come out.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Colion Noir would like to have a word with you.

16. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Watch again. In her speaking in the video she states: that he told the officer he had a CCW permit and a weapon on him. The officer then asked him for his ID. When he reached for his ID he was shot. Thus, he was shot after following the officers instructions to move.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

His girlfriend clearly said to the cop himself that he told him reach for it.

I'm going to believe the girlfriend on this. Based on the manner in which she said that to the cop and not the camera in a nonchalant way vs the cop yelling out that he didn't in a manner that seemed like he was covering his own ass.

If the guy was meticulous enough to let the cop know of his armed status, then I highly doubt he was stupid enough to reach without permission. That just doesn't add up.

18. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

And the cop says the complete opposite. Hopefully there's dash cam video.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Did the victim really have to tell him he was carrying?

Edit: i guess he didn't

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Who's the moron? Look up the laws in MN or read the thread. The video doesn't show the before or during, only the aftermath and is only giving her side of what went down.

22. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Exactly. Much like the ‘F*** it’ comment by the officers who pulled the gun never brandished out of Alton Sterlings pocket, it was the words of an officer who knows he has just been caught doing wrong in killing of Castile.

23. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Another day, another police officer unfit for duty.

And the usual supporters of White supremacy who defend him.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Oh please.

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

So often there's another side of the story that neither the press nor the family of the deceased is eager to tell. This case looks different to me; best I can tell, these two did everything right - pulled over, hands on the wheel, talking respectfully to the cops, informed the cops that he was licensed to carry, reached for his licensed when he was told to do so - and he still got shot. It's going to be hard to explain this one away, I think.