False dichotomies are you for or against them?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by unid, Apr 14, 2010.

?

a world of choice

1. For

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Against

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. unid macrumors regular

Since they are as rife amongst this community as any other (us vs them etc.) I thought it might be useful to get peoples views on this.

The world needs strong and individual consumers to form judgements, de-remember history and perpetuate greater separation in pursuit
    of further elevated personal interest. So if you would like to assert your position, then please do so below.These are dangerous times and
    we need to make difficult choices to ensure our safety & survival, please vote now!

2. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

While I'm for a world of choice as stated in your poll, I'm against false dilemmas/dichotomies. There is always another choice for 99% of problems. The choice is whether or not to pursue those other choices.

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Overlooking the "de-remember history" faux pas, it seems necessary to raise the issue specific, while a dichotomy is generally considered any splitting of a whole into exactly two non-overlapping parts that are mutually exclusive in the understanding that nothing can belong simultaneously to both parts and the fallacy of false dichotomy might be considered committed when the arguer claims that his/her conclusion is one of only two options, when in fact there are other possibilities; there is not really a need here, in my opinion, to categorically state "False dichotomies" or "True dichotomies" or whether we are for or against them, as such is redundant in the extreme. Go instead with dichotomies on its own, or more elementary, options or choices.

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm beginning to seriously question my intelligence. I have no idea what this poll is about, what the OP was talking about, and to add insult to injury, WTF was ITN talking about?

(edit)
    BTW. that was one sentence.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Hint: It began with a google search on the definition of "dichotomy".

6. unid thread starter macrumors regular

To raise to issue specific further, by de-remembrance i guess i was attempting to allude to a mass manufactured forgetting.

Am I to infer from your tautological statement "fallacy of false dichotomy" that you consider everything fits within a dualistic framework.