False Flag?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JagdTiger, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:44 PM.

1. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Anything is possible, I suppose.

First thing I thought of, as it turns out, was The Gulf of Tonkin.

2. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

image.jpeg

If true, then evidence may suggest the opposite of a false flag.

But in this day and age, nothing would surprise me anymore.

3. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Interesting. Can anyone comment on whether this aggression would be considered a provocation of war?

4. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

This doesn’t surprise me at all. I hope tensions chill. If Iran conducts any attacks on our troops in the Middle East, expect another long and dreadful war. They really need to stop poking the bear.

5. lostngone, Jun 13, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 7:34 PM

lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I want to know how the U.S government knows it was an Iranian military/government boat that removed this object. Did they track the boat back to a larger military craft?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2019 at 7:25 PM ---
    They weren’t U.S. flagged vessels they were headed to Japan, we are allies with the Japanese. However I don’t know how this could be an act of war against the U.S. but we have gone to war for less than this in the past so who knows.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2019 at 7:30 PM ---
    ??? Russia is the “Bear” not the U.S. I think the US is a Bald Eagle or Bison?

6. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Ok ok ok ok!

7. JagdTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

Ww3 is what they want, from chaos comes order.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2019 at 7:03 AM ---
    Yeah, Russia’s the bear, America is the eagle and Britain is the lion.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I don't think this was a false flag. However, I also think the Iranians might have quite sensibly removed limpet mine from the hull of a ship because it posed a danger to the ship, the local environment, and possibly people. They did come to the aid of the crew of one of the ships and their intentions could be completely above board. There are lots of actors in the region that might want to stir things up other than Iran. It's even possible this was some dumb 'eco-warrior' action (driving the price of oil up and making the supply of oil uncertain makes renewables even more attractive). We just don't know yet. I hope Trump doesn't decide to distract the public from domestic issues with another war.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2019 at 7:10 AM ---
    Assuming people survive.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

10. raqball macrumors 68000

Just saw video on the news that shows the unexploded mine getting removed from the ship... Can't tell if it's Iranians obviously but they are in a small boat...

11. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Here’s the thing, one of ships had been there for 4 hours already when this smaller ship came up.

That fact is left out of most reporting, because they really do think we’re ****ing stupid.

The US is trying to force an incident with Iran as a provocation for war.

12. JagdTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

It was claimed aerial.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2019 at 9:43 AM ---
    Yes, whoever is behind this wants a Hegelian Dialectic to occur to produce the final and last Great War.

13. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Bolton has had a hard-on for war with Iran for decades. Looks like he might just get what he wants :(

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

15. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Abe is/was in Iran at the time to ease tensions. *Someone* (not Iran) doesn’t want that to happen.

FFS we had a dress rehearsal of this just a couple weeks ago.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I wonder if anybody actually saw a drone or whether they just assume that the location of the hole above the water line meant an aerial attack (when it was probably a limpet mine). In any case, while somebody is taking great care to disrupt things and create uncertainty, they've also taken great care not to cause too much damage (e.g., loss of life, massive oil spills). Curious.

17. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I think someone is trying to set Iran up for a war or reason to start war. I wonder whom in that region supports the US going to war with Iran..:rolleyes: Falsified information/intelligence is nothing new as we have seen from before. Just remember who provided the falsified information about Iraq's WMD to get the US to attack and invade Iraq.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-administration-providing-false-information-124247066.html

18. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I guess you are asking the same question here...

Do we know it was a drone that attached the mine? If it was removed by boat it could have been attached the same way.

However I guess the smaller explosives would lend itself to being attached via drone due to weight restrictions.

19. JagdTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

Most likely there will be no answers from the mainstream press to find out.

20. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

So now we add a little tid-bit of information our government forgot to mention in the beginning..

“Iranian boat fired missile at US drone prior to tanker attack, US official says”

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/14/politics/us-drone-tracked-iranian-boats/index.html

So maybe it was our drone that put the mines on the boat and it turns out the Iranians were the good guys by trying to stop it and by removing the other unexploded mine.

21. JagdTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

It’s getting convoluted.

22. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

"Trump says Iran did it" :rolleyes: The most honest man in the house says "Iran did it"  Whatever Simon tells him to say he says.
    aid198794-v4-728px-Play-Simon-Says-Step-4-Version-4.jpg

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

As a general rule you don't place a limpet mine on a vessel's hull eight feet above the waterline. You place it under the water, not only so that it remains invisible to the crew and other casual inspection, but also so that when it detonates, it does the most damage.

Whatever else the US is saying about this incident, the claim that the Iranians were removing a limpet mine seems improbable.

IMHO, the Iranians were removing a tracking device that they had previously placed on the vessel. This obviously does not absolve either Iran or the US of bad acting in the Gulf. But whatever else they were doing, the Iranians weren't pulling limpet mines off tanker hulls.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Possible, but I doubt it, since it's not like tankers aren't easy to track (e.g., link). The mines might have been put above the water line to cause disruption and uncertainty rather than outright destruction (which might cause war). Iran benefits if it can sell its oil at a higher price, and oil is selling higher now. Still, this could be an attempt by another country to create mischief between the US and Iran, and plenty of countries have a motive to do so, as do terrorist groups.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 15, 2019 at 8:29 AM ---
    The drone was reported to be a reaper (link), so I doubt it. However, i cannot seem to find a clear answer as to whether the drone was shot down or shot at. Either way, it could be construed as an act of war, so I think we have to have healthy scepticism about this story as well. Where was the drone relative to Iranian airspace?