[FALSE] Was I accidently sold a carrier unlocked iPhone in Canada? [pics]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by milani, Aug 2, 2010.

1. milani macrumors 68000

milani

So I know that Canadians could, in theory, buy unlocked devices, but I can assure you that I bought what I thought was a carrier locked iPhone (locked to Rogers, via hardware upgrade, bought on Canadian launch day). However, when I go to my Carrier screen in my settings, I'm presented with a list of Canadian carriers:

- Rogers
    - TELUS
    - Bell

(see attached screen shot)

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I can confirm that my buddy, who also bought his iPhone on launch day, is also presented with multiple carrier options. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe the phone won't actually connect to the other network (assuming I had a compatible SIM card), but it's quite interesting to say the least. And I can vouch that I never had this carrier list on my 3G, and I don't believe my friends with 3GSs have this list either (awaiting confirmation).

P.S. Ignore the terrible signal quality; I'm in my basement which is nearly a dead zone.

Attached Files:

2. MikeNemat macrumors regular

No you weren't. That's just a list of active HSPA networks in your area. It would be there on the 3G and 3GS too, check again.

3. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

Tested on 3GS in the same house; Bell and Telus do not show up in the carrier list.

4. nathulal macrumors newbie

I believe you wouldnt even see the carrier option unless it was unlocked. You defenitely seem to have an unlocked phone. :D

5. SimplyS macrumors member

turn on roaming on your 3gs/3g and check again

6. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

No change on the 3GS with roaming turned on. Still does not show Bell or Telus.

7. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Hi

I have the same thing here. Got it from fairview apple store on launch for 159 with Rogers and shows all carriers

Thanks
    AE

8. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Stick a TELUS or bell sim in and check. Better yet, stick an AT&T sim in.

9. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

I would if I had one. Better question, does Bell or Telus even have microsims right now?

Also just checked with my buddy with a 3GS and he confirms he has never seen Bell or Telus in the carrier list.

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Iphone 4 supports one more frequency iirc, might be the reason possibly?

11. DeathChill macrumors 68000

My 3G shows Rogers and 302880. However, this has nothing to do with unlocked...ness, as when I was in the US it showed Rogers, AT&T and T-Mobile!

12. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Yes they have microsims, otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell their iPhone 4's ;)

13. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

^ well they're currently not carrying the iPhone 4, so I was asking whether they have microsims available right now, or whether they'll be distributing them when they start to sell the iPhone 4.

So is it possible that the iPhone 4 was tuned to recognize all networks because it will be sold by all carriers? It seems like iPhone 4 owners are seeing the carriers, and 3G/3GS owners are not. The only real test would be to throw a Bell or Telus microsim into the device... which I don't have.

14. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

All 4 carriers launched the iPhone 4 on Friday...

15. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

Doh! My mistake. I guess I was just thinking of SaskTel!

Anyway, I guess this thread will not be resolved until someone with an iPhone 4 puts a different network's sim card into the device and finds out. I have never been able to pick up Bell or Telus networks on my old 3G, and no one (that I've talked to) with a 3GS seems to be able to do so either. Perhaps it's due to the multi-carrier nature of the iPhone 4 (and the rumors that the iPhone becomes carrier-locked only during its activation).

16. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

My 3GS has shown both the Rogers network and Bell/telus network and has done so for almost a year now (When Bell/telus were starting their new network). This has absolutely nothing to do with the phone being locked or unlocked.

If you search back through thread you'll see ones that discuss the new mystery network last year showing up on peoples phones.

The iPhone can recognize and use any GSM network thats why you can use it all over the world, it's called roaming and doesn't mean it's unlocked.

17. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

I'm familiar with the concept of roaming, but being that the phone is carrier locked I assumed it would not show other network options (only partner carriers like AT&T across the fence in the US). In my years of owning a 3G I never saw any other networks than Rogers and the number, which is why I asked. Thanks for clarifying, though.

18. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Just because it shows those networks, does not mean it is unlocked, all it means is that there is signal from those networks in the area.

19. stuffradio macrumors 65816

It's been like that forever. I can connect to T-Mobile or AT&T when going across border on my iPhone 3G.