families getting iphones for xmass need help with movies

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wnbasac, Dec 16, 2007.

1. wnbasac macrumors newbie

can i use ffmpegx to convert avi format movies for the iphone?
    >
    it has a mp4 setting but if yes what is the correct video format
    a.video size = 480 x 320 ?
    b.autosize = 16.9 ?
    c.video bit rate kbit/s = ?
    d. mb size = ?

thanks for any help you can offer!!!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont know much about ffmpegx but programs such as isquint and visual hub (link on given link as well) are good programs

they have ipod settings which is nice

3. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

might be pc only, but Videora is amazing. I think mine are encoded at iphones native res at 7xx Kbps. 2 pass encoding seemed to help quality a lot, too. Good luck!

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I highly recommend buying Visual Hub. It just takes the guess work out of it.

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I don't know much about ffmpegx either, but I know the video size for the iPhone is 640x480

6. illitrate23 macrumors 6502

illitrate23

are you using the latest ffmpegx?
    because there is an iPod h.264 preset which works perfectly.
    http://www.ffmpegx.com/ipodh264hires.html

i've tried both ffmpegx and iSquint (http://www.isquint.org/) and i think the quality is slightly better from ffmpegx, but iSquint is faster and honestly the difference isn't that great.

i tend to convert with iSquint at mid to low-mid quality and it looks fine on the iPhone (and the iTouch) and the file sizes are nice and small

if you're getting a load of dvd boxsets for xmas and want to watch them on the train to work each morning, then i use Handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/) for that. makes it nice and easy to get the episodes into iTunes.

once in iTunes you'll be wanting to change the ID3 tags so that the tv shows and movies show up in the correct areas on the iPhone and have proper images too.
    currently i'm using a combination of MetaX (http://www.kerstetter.net/page53/page54/page54.html) and iTunes itself. Anyone have any better suggestions for this? because sometimes i find the files end up in iTunes and i can't Get Info on them - have to go to a file before or after, bring up the info window, and then Next/Prev to the file i want to adjust

7. wnbasac thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks 4 all your help!
    >
    i bought Visualhub and i have a few questions-
    <
    i set the setting on iphone H.264 encoding but
    why does it create 2 files ? mp4 & mp4.mp4?
    <
    how do you determine the files size, by the ( Quality ) slider
    ( edge - tiny - wifi - high - go nuts? )
    <
    i hit the advanced button but it said ( don't or you'll screw it up )
    <
    i've been playing with FFMPEGX using the ipod settings but i'm having little trouble getting the file size down
    >
    >
    thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!!!

8. SpankWare macrumors regular

I use Quicktime Pro to transcode my AVIs for the iPhone. Works great. Export movie to iPhone. Having the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show on my iPhone makes those bad days at work just a little better. :)

9. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Odd, I have encoded about 70 files using VisualHub, it usually creates a temp file while encoding, but then ends up renaming it to "title".mp4

I've been using the wifi setting, so I could fit more on the iPhone. I think it looks okay, and it encodes them to native resolution. High sets the resolution higher, and uses a lot more space. Go nuts is off the charts, unless you're a freak about how it looks, I'd not waste the extra encode time or the space.

You can change stuff on the advanced tab, I like the author's sense of humor that managed to be coded into the program, as well as in the users guide. Have you checked it out? It has a lot of handy information... and amusing quotes, etc. I usually set extra ffmpeg flags on the advanced tab, and they've not given me problems yet.

Give the users guide a whirl if you're stuck, it's seriously a great help.

10. wnbasac thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks 4 all your help!
    >
    i got visualhub and your right it works like a charm,soo easy
    >
    but when i sync my phone and add some movies it will only upload one??
    >
    any ideas what i did wrong?
    >
    itunes 7.5
    >
    thanks