Family Files Legal Claims in San Francisco Pier Killing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Sep 1, 2015.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

https://gma.yahoo.com/kate-steinles...francisco-160448569--abc-news-topstories.html

http://sfgsa.org/index.aspx?page=1067

what a mess.

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You know the lawyers were on this like fat green flies on a steaming pile of horseradish.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Funny how when Arizona tried to do something about illegal immigration the Federal government was on them like white on rice. However, San Francisco and other cities ignore ICE requests and there is nary a peep from the Feds.

5. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

the city helped create the situation.

6. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all choose which laws to disregard without punishment?

Al sanctuary cities should be punished severely. The feds can start by withholding all aid. Hit 'em where it hurts.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You're all slobbering over this like a starving stray dog on a rotting dumpster turkey.

8. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

Do you have anything against fresh turkeys? I'm a sucker for strays btw

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I like them better than rotting dumpster turkeys, that's for sure.

And right now I have a bunch of cats asleep in my garage that I didn't have 4 months ago, so yeah...strays.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Is there some sort of productivity bonus for Reichwing trolling going on?

I'm really curious.l Because I could use a little extra cash right now. And I can be bought. Oh yes, for the right money I can be bought. I'd just love to dip my toes in some of that sweet Koch/Adelson blood money.

Apparently the actual writing/thinking/originality qualifications are pretty low. Simply post links to various Fox News hit pieces. Or basically anything off the AP newswire - so long as it paints immigrants/muslims/african americans in a bad light. Sheesh - I could do that in my sleep.

11. dec. Suspended

dec.

12. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

The dude is a career criminal. You know the type you don't want getting guns.
    Wait, don't you get paid to simple inject your feelings into the threads?

13. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

Had 8 cats at one time. I live in busy intersection , many croaked playing frogger

14. jerwin macrumors 65816

It's a campaign to get us liberals to pay attention to publications like World Nut Daily.

15. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

Plenty of Hispanics are catholic , there might be

16. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

Yes, yahoo is world nut daily

17. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

I had no idea we have so many resident cat ladies (or cat men?) here.

18. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

I hope the family wins their lawsuit against Frisco.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Ever noticed that the word tomato and potato sound really similar?

I mean if we're just going to take two similar sounding things and just pretend they're the same thing, potatoes and tomatoes strikes me as a good matchup.

First, Arizona's SB1070 was a Constitutional mess that the federal government challenged because it was an attempt to subvert the federal government's authority on immigration. In fact, the legal consequences of this line of thinking is that states and localities have no business enforcing immigration authority and thus, cities can ignore detainer requests from federal immigration authorities. The logic here is sound.

Moreover, a detainer isn't a warrant from federal immigration officials. Instead, the request is simply that ICE has intimated an investigation into someone's immigration status. Moreover, the Supreme Court has noted that simply holding people for significant periods of time to ascertain their immigration status is a seizure prohibited by the U.S. Constitution. Thus, cities are not required to hold people.

It's also worth noting that some cities started ignoring detainers because of the cost incurred by agencies for holding immigrants for a length of time. One study noted that Los Angeles spent $26 million per year just holding people for ICE to pick up and often, this meant people were in holding cells or jails for 48 hours or more. Moreover, while ICE can issue the detainer and then waltz up to get someone, it's cities that could be hit with lawsuits for civil rights violations. Cook County was hammered by a lawsuit after ICE detainer system misidentified an American citizen and he was sent to a maximum security prison for months. A man in New York sued the city for $145,000 after police held him for 145 days on an ICE detainer.

Additionally, while some cities bought into immigration enforcement through the 287g program (until 2012 when it was canceled), others worried that having local police enforce immigration laws would hamper their ability to operate in immigrant-heavy communities.
    In fact, Arizona's SB1070 was largely about trying to force police to act as immigration officers, which was one of the reasons it was so heavily challenged by federal lawyers and advocates.

Remember that cities aren't required to enforce all federal laws, so there's no reason to demand that cities must enforce immigration law by holding immigrants until ICE shows up.

That said, it's also important to note that the murder of Steinle wasn't because of a sanctuary policy. It was because of a systemic failure on the part of federal prison officials who released Sanchez rather than hand him over to ICE. And, it was also because someone stole a gun and then left it for Sanchez to find.

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

ANYTHING but blame the perpetrator and the cities in which they consistently return, after they've been tossed out of the country SEVERAL times.

And let’s not forget others fallen.

Illegal alien Cinthya Garcia-Cisneros received no jail time after she slaughtered two Oregon children playing in a leaf pile by running them over, fleeing the scene, having her car taken to a car wash to scrub off the gore, and lying to police about her hit-and-run.

Illegal alien Ramiro Ajualip was charged with savagely raping and sodomizing a 10-year-old Alabama girl while her parents left her alone in the presence of their “family friend.”

Vanessa Pham’s family carries on without their daughter, who died after the PCP-addled illegal alien Julio Blanco Garcia stabbed her more than a dozen times after she gave him and his toddler a ride to a hospital.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You've certainly proven that some illegal aliens can be criminal bastards. But your mistake is equating the few with the many.

Would harsher, more draconian immigrant control and punishment prevented the deaths or victimization of these people? Yeah, it would have. Is it right to punish the many for the actions of a few? Probably not.

Let's use your logic on a sacred cow right fast. If we made guns illegal tomorrow, thousands of crimes would be prevented. Rapes, robberies, murders. Getting rid of guns would see a marked decrease in all of these things. We'd still have crime, of course. And yes, some criminals would still have access to illegal weapons. But we'd still save more lives than we'd lose, wouldn't we?

So if stricter immigration policies would have prevented the crimes we listed above, wouldn't you think the same thing about guns? As much as lax immigration enforcement creates an environment that allows for these things to happen, wouldn't access to gun create the means to carry them out? If you care so much, why aren't you advocating for the removal of both?

22. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

any illegal that ends up behind bars should be deported, why release them back inside the U.S if they are already in custody?

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Are you Katie McHugh? If so, why don't you link to your own story written for Breitbart's Big Government. If you are not, stop copying other people's work and attributing it as your own.

I'm fundamentally tired of your deception.

From the article:

On Monday, three DeKalb County officers in Georgia invaded the wrong home and shot a man and his dog. In fact, there have been 103 police shootings in August alone, and yet, would you argue that defending other police officers who managed to go entire careers without firing their weapon does "anything, but blame the perpetrator?"

Unauthorized immigrants have lower crime rates than the surrounding population of Americans and yet, you'd demonize a population of 11.2 million people based on a handful of horrible, awful stories.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

What else do we do with them? What else can we do with them? Countries have been deporting criminals since time immemorial. If their home country doesn't punish them appropriately, and they end up sneaking back in to commit more crimes, what do we do? Do we throw them in prison here? That'd require us to throw more tax money at them, wouldn't it?

Illegal immigrant criminals end up being lost between two systems. They bounce back and forth, back and forth, because no one wants to deal with them directly. Now the question is, do we set up a system that punishes the many in order to better control those rare few, or do we endure it for the sake of human rights?

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Simply put, not all offenses are deportable. And, SCOTUS ruled that people can't be held just for immigration proceedings over significant lengths of time. Also, people are eligible for bonds and others are released while their cases are adjudicated. Part of the problem is the backlog of cases under immigration judges, which is 627 days, or nearly two years at this point.