Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fox and development house TinyCo have today unveiled the first images of the upcoming Family Guy iOS game, which is slated for release next month.

The game features an original story "influenced by the show's 212-episode catalogue as well as current events." It will be free-to-play, likely supported by in-app purchases or virtual currency.

familyguygame1.jpg
As can be seen in the screenshots, the game features the same locations and characters that are in the hit television show, with Mort, Peter, Quagmire, and Chris outside The Drunken Clam in one shot and Peter and Joe outside the Quahog police station in another shot.

familyguygame2.jpg
"We're working closely with Fox Digital Entertainment and 20th Century Fox Television production to guarantee an authentic FAMILY GUY experience that makes you laugh your ass off," said Andrew N. Green, head of business development and business operations at TinyCo.
While there is no official launch date in place for the Family Guy game, it is set to be released in April of 2014. More information can be found on the game's Facebook page.

Article Link: First Images of Official Family Guy iOS Game Surface

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Is it really needed? As much as I like my games, I don't know if there's room for this with Simpson's Tapped Out and all the Star Wars-based games.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
For the love of all that is good don't go anywhere near this game. Simpsons Tapped out consumed my soul for over a year and like a drug I have to go in every day. It's not even fun, just and addictive mind numbing waste of time.

Stay away.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
For the love of all that is good don't go anywhere near this game. Simpsons Tapped out consumed my soul for over a year and like a drug I have to go in every day. It's not even fun, just and addictive mind numbing waste of time.

Stay away.

That's nothing, Flappy Bird caused me to lose my wife, quit my job, get kicked out of my apartment, stay in a shady neighborhood with low rent, join a street gang to make ends meet, move across country to hide identity from said street gang, and step on a rusty nail on the way.

TL;DR: Flappy Bird literally gave me tetanus.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011

Stay away.

I was in much the same situation for about a full week, around a year ago. Then I started Googling around for "Simpsons Tapped Out cheats" and shortcuts and etcetera.

Somehow, seeing that people with jailbroken devices and other resources could gain so much through other means than waiting and playing every day for so long emphasized the futility in my taking that longer route.

It didn't cause me to want to jailbreak or do whatever else necessary to "cheat" and gain things quickly. It just helped me put it down and delete the game. After a couple of days of the game being off my device and being reminded of the other more productive options available for my time, there's next-to-no compulsion to re-download the app.

For your health! (dingus)

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA

Stay away.

Oh, you mean video games? Yeah, I love em too.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Oh, you mean video games? Yeah, I love em too.

I hesitate to call things like Simpsons: Tapped Out or this "video games".

They're some kind of reverse-marketing scheme. They create applications which have no entertainment, story or value whatsoever, then cover them with lots of branding from things which do have value by virtue of being entertaining and/or telling stories.

I call it 'reverse-marketing' because they get the subjects to pay for the privilege. It's like paying to watch ads.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

They're some kind of reverse-marketing scheme. They create applications which have no entertainment, story or value whatsoever, then cover them with lots of branding from things which do have value by virtue of being entertaining and/or telling stories.

I call it 'reverse-marketing' because they get the subjects to pay for the privilege. It's like paying to watch ads.

Oh, so it's just like cable, then? Pay $80/month and it's over 30% ads?

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
diggity diggity

It's "giggity giggity"........GET IT RIGHT!! :mad:

On another note, this game signals that Family Guy is very much alive in the minds of Fox and it will be around for a while longer. But they need to be more consistent with airing a new episode every week, sometimes they skip a lot of weeks and it makes it hard to keep up. I still love the show though.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yes. Please.

Family Guy is the bomb - still one of the funniest shows on TV.

Yeah, there's nothing funnier than a musical number every 5 minutes.

I can appreciate why people used to like Family Guy, but it's absolute rubbish now. These days, I find it really only appeals to people under the age of 21.

----------

Last edited by a moderator:

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010

On another note, this game signals that Family Guy is very much alive in the minds of Fox and it will be around for a while longer. But they need to be more consistent with airing a new episode every week, sometimes they skip a lot of weeks and it makes it hard to keep up. I still love the show though.

I agree with you. Having such a huge break between episodes during a season is a bit bothersome. I think an advertised midseason break such as The Walking Dead would be a good alternative. Put in another short run show (Napoleon Dynamite) for 6 weeks. Gives us something new to watch and ponder.

I remember the good ol days of trying to watch Buck Rogers or Battlestar Galactica and having the reruns go on forever. Bugged the everliving ***** outa me. A Midseason show is a great thing.

However this is a mute point with me now as I just download shows I want to watch. Don't have cable, jsut use ATV...

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA

My generalization was really just snark, but I agree with your sentiment. See my earlier remark:

Hope it's got decent mechanics instead of just being a money grab.

----------

Seriously? Either you missed it or I'm missing your absentee sarcasm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.