Family member buying me MacBook Pro from overseas, advice on bringing it back? (cases

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattchiro, Dec 19, 2009.

1. mattchiro macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I have a family member who will be in the states until the end of January.

I am buying a new 13" MacBook Pro, and I found they are FAR cheaper in USA than at home here in SA - Base MBP is $1199, here in South Africa the base MBP is R1299 (which is roughly $1700) :mad:

The base MBP is plenty for my needs, as it will be used primarily for office, browsing and some photoshop.

I have a few questions.

1.) Most importantly, is there a nice reasonably priced protective carrying case that my relative can use to protect it from damage while travelling with it (and that I can use to take it to university in each day)?

2.) They are flying home at the end of January. I am concerned that if apple update the MBP line some time in January I will have a problem getting a new one delivered in time before they leave? The current spec base 13" MBP is plenty fast enough for me, but of course if a new one comes out a week or two after I purchase it will be more of a frustration than anything else.

This isn't a "should I buy now or wait" thread, but if I were to order the MBP around the 20th of January, am I guarenteed it will be delivered within a week? (I see it says free shipping - ships within 214 hrs) just a bit worried there will be supply issues or any other problems. When new hardware comes out are there often supply problems/issues? If that is the case i'd rather order one around the 10th of Jan to ensure it is delivered in time.

Many thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Any sleeve they sell in the Apple Store will be fine.
    You're not guaranteed anything, especially with new models. Sometimes they don't ship immediately.