Family members justify dead teen being a thief

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Khalanad75, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

How do you get people who justify robbery as a normal everyday means of getting money to understand that this isn't how society works. How do we educate them on how to be a productive member of society?

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

"He was a good boy just getting his life together."

Good God, you can't make this stuff up.

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There's just all kinds of stupid in that story, from the homeowner, the burglar, and the sister. But its Florida

4. Khalanad75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

That's the one. The part that really got to me was the "How else was he supposed to get money?"

How do we get that thought process out of someone's head and the though that most people get a job when they need money.

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

w/o video of the confrontation, yes there is plenty of stupid to go around, they should have kept quiet on the last bit, that was naive & stupid .

6. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

I quite agree with the house owner's actions.

I disagree with the police. If your house is being burgled, your life is under threat, and it is better to kill the burglar rather than ring the police, wait, and risk your life being taken by the burglar. You can't even be sure the police will bother coming, and if they do, they will likely be too late, and the burglar will get away.

You can be sure that if you burgle Obama's home and are caught in the act, the police will be only too quick to shoot you, as they should.

7. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

not sure about FL but in CA if you have financial needs the school (community college) is pretty much free, hell there are adult education programs when you can get pell grants (free money) just for completing the courses .
    --- Post Merged, Jul 20, 2016 ---
    PROPERTY is not worth someones life IMHO, that said there was an alleged confrontation so we don't know what really happened.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just like Jesus taught us.

Did you read the story, she wasn't home when it happened. She rushed home and put herself in the middle of a burglary. Not too smart.

9. Khalanad75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Oh I agree with that not being too smart at all. I was just flabbergasted by the comments from the family.

10. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

how "smart" is it to break into people's homes? two morons met & one died.

11. SusanK macrumors 68000

The family is grieving. Trying to make some sense of what happened. I don't agree with the rationale but I understand grieving a profound loss. Cut the family some slack.

The homeowner is just a goof. Not at home, intrusion detected, rushes home and shoots someone exiting the house. Why? Homeowner was not in danger. Why shoot?

12. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

per the link there was a confrontation when the homeowner caught the teen exiting. she did put herself there.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It's their property they can come and go as they please, the burgler can now feel free to rot in the ground for their decision to break into someone else's property.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There was a confrontation because she confronted him

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No it isn't.

Because the police don't view burglary as a priority. If however you get physically threatened, or even sworn at, the police will come.

16. SusanK macrumors 68000

Homeowner is goof.

17. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

IF your homes are broken into, are YOU not going to check them? you will just wait? she made it there BEFORE the cops did, is that really her fault? some entitled MORON confronted her exiting HER home.

18. 617aircav Suspended

Look at his family and friends. No wonder he did what he did. None of them have common sense. Good boy my ass.

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Actually yes I'm probably just going to take his picture and give it to the cops..

Guns are reserved for saving lives period

20. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

OH YEAH? TRY POST 8 :mad:
    This part in particular
    I expect a back massage as compensation. and I would NOT get close enough to take his pic.

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

As long as the mole stay far, far away from me :eek:

22. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I would assume most liberals would help with the theft since they love to give to others.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Pretty awful incident to say the least. Any situation where someone dies, right or wrong, is tragic IMO.

I would say it's generally best to have the police handle break ins. And in most states if the intruder is attempting to leave its not appropriate to shoot him/her. In this situation we don't really have the facts to know who started the confrontation on the way out the door.

Having been home alone with 2 people breaking into my house I know just how scary it is. An that fear flips on the switch of primitive survival mode. It's not hard for me to understand why people shoot in the heat of the moment. In the moment it's not about stolen property, it's about your personal space and sense of security being intruded upon. You can replace material items, you cannot easily replace a lost sense of security.

The family's reaction is grief- they're in denial. In reality we know their justification is not valid. They cannot admit their sons actions have resulted in death- so it must be someone else's fault. Afterall apparently the social norm is that other kids get away with this without dying. Fact is: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes (I hate that cliche, but it's true)

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Perhaps living in London your grasp of US laws on use of force in defending property has taken a hike? I'd more likely advise US residents to learn their state's laws on that issue.