Family Organiser ID used in Family Sharing

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by niji, Sep 1, 2014.

1. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

hi

can you pls help me to understand if the following is possible in Family Sharing:

i have just created a new apple iTunes ID and associated it with a credit card.
    i want to use that newly created iTunes ID to be the ID associated with Family Sharing's Organiser ID.
    since this newly created ID has no purchases associated with it however, among the family members i invite, i would like to specify my main apple iTunes ID (which has lots of purchased content associated with it).
    and then to selectively choose to share only some parts of what i have purchased with my main ID.

is this possible?

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

It sounds complicated. As there's no way to transfer apps between accounts, you'd be best using your main ID as the family sharing account.

3. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I've played around a bit with family sharing and I don't believe there is any way to selectively share content. It's either all or nothing.

Additionally, I don't think there is any benefit to creating a new ID like you did. Family sharing is limited to six linked accounts, so it seems like tying up one of your 6 slots like that wouldn't be very useful.

Also keep in mind that you can only join a family share group twice a year... there have been a few posts here from people who were locked out of family sharing because they unjoined and rejoined too many times. Make sure you know exactly how you want it set up before you go and configure everything.

4. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

yup... I'm one of them and was going to mention about that when I saw this thread title. :(