Family Research Institute: Sally Ride died young because she was a lesbian

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Oct 10, 2012.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Words can't even describe the level of stupidity here.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conte...gesting-homosexuality-associated-early-demise

Nevermind the fact that as an astronaut going through the outer layers of the Earth's atmosphere, she received a higher dose of radiation throughout her life than the average person, nevermind the fact that straight people die in their 50s and 60s of pancreatic cancer every day, no, she got pancreatic cancer and died young because she was a lesbian :rolleyes:

I guess that makes Steve Jobs gay too. He was what, 56? Much younger than Sally Ride. Steve must've been flaming.

2. gertruded macrumors 6502

Every country has a small segment of its population that are called Taliban in some societies, and just radical religious in others.

They walk among us and reproduce too.

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I could buy the argument that people who are homosexual tend to die earlier. But I would argue that the social forces are what causes it and it has nothing to do with 'being gay' in and of itself. Constant discrimination and that crap that homosexual persons are subjected to produces stress. Stress is known to contribute to depression/destructive habits/morbidity/mortality/etc.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

But she didn't die from stress, she died from cancer. Any claimed "research" by FRI is obviously skewed.

5. 184550 Guest

I think it's fairly obvious they just want the attention. Why give it to them? :confused:

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

You don't believe stress is associated with cancer outcomes? Also, if you are a gay person with cancer, you could potentially also be getting sub par medical services (discrimination) because of your sexuality, which surely influences health outcomes.

As far as FRI goes, they are an anti-gay hate group. What they touched on is significant, but not for any of the reasons they would ever suggest because it would suggest that it isn't homosexuality which is dysfunctional, but society itself.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Steve Jobs was a Lesbian. Pass it on.

Well, it makes just a much sense!!!

8. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

Wow. Just when you think you've heard it all from the FRI...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Ellis_(activist)

This woman was a personal mentor of mine and thousands of other kids in Detroit. I spent countless hours as an adult volunteering for an organization named in her honor. She lived to be over 100 years old & lived her whole life as an openly gay woman.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Does the Family Research Institute have any studies on why so many conservatives are bat**** crazy?

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Holy cow. The level of ignorance and faulty reasoning of FRI is astounding.

12. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Im not implying that at all. I know very well cancer is stressful. I just don't buy that it's the stress that's the end killer and not the cancer itself just because she was gay. While yes you "can" get sub par medical services for being gay, doesn't equate to that being true in this case or any other specific case. It would just be speculation at this point in the case of Sally Ride. It could equally be speculated that she got top notch care for being some what famous as well. For all you know she was treated in a gay friendly area with a gay primary doctor looking out for her best interest. If you want to throw out speculation for one view, you have to accept it for others as well. That goes for any gay person with cancer.

What FRI touched on doesn't mean their agenda doesn't tend to have a skewed POV which will always support their agenda.

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so if a christian dies early of cancer does that mean they are closet lesbians?

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It may not be true in this case, but I would say it's more theorizing than just speculation. It's been validated through research that gay persons are often subjected to discrimination. It's also been indicated that persons subject to discrimination have lower self-assessed health scores and poorer health outcomes...sometimes the effect is huge.

But as far as FRI implying a causal link in the direction they have indicated...well, it's just silly.

15. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

No. It means they didn't believe enough, and are being punished.

Or, that God's plan was for them to die young. Depending on your denomination.

16. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Wow this is effed up, these people are officially retarded... dont they sometimes feel stupid whilst publishing these?

Is there no sane person who is like? Guys this is a load of b.s