Family sharing icloud storage... are each person’s files kept separate?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Synergie, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I’d like to share my 2 TB with my husband, and have a few questions...

His account was created in India, and mine in Canada. We have switched his location / store to Canada so hoping this won’t be an issue.

I am wondering though, if I share my icloud storage, will my files all be visible to him? (Not that I have anything to hide, but some work files I’d prefer to not be accidentally modified or deleted by someone else).

I am assuming the photo libraries are also kept separate? Except of course the shared album... ??

And as long as we are both in same zone for the App Store, should there be no problem sharing my apps? I have a lot of paid office apps that would be great to not have to purchase again for him.

2. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

As far as I know family sharing doesn’t work like that. You keep your own libraries of photos and videos. You can choose you share app purchases.

You can if you select it have a shared photo area.

[​IMG]

This is extremely handy for my wife and I because if we go out somewhere with our children for example we don’t now have to what’s app each other all our pictures we took!

I simply create an album in the shared area, specify my wife (being an iPhone user) as an account that can access the album in question and then choose the pictures we want in it! Awesome thing is this doesn’t contribute to our iCloud storage. It’s a separate thing altogether and not limited (as far as I know).

To answer your question I don’t think there is even an option to share each personal photo library’s.

3. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok that’s great! That’s how I want it to work, separate but having a shared folder. I’m hoping our files on iCloud Drive are separate as well as I save documents in there which I wouldn’t want someone to inadvertently change a formula on etc.

Update: we enabled it and he can’t see my iCloud files and I can’t see his. We literally only share the storage limit. Sharing apps was a bit of a trick to find but we found it. So all good!

4. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Awesome glad all working as expected!