Family Sharing

bisk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
I've trying to setup Family Sharing for my family. I have my email address setup as the main account and I've added my wife successfully. The issue comes when I try to add my kids who are 9 and 7. They both have personal email addresses linked to Apple IDs. Is it possible to have them setup as child accounts so that I have to approve their purchases? In the Family Sharing setup on my phone I can see that you can create a Child Apple ID, but I have to use @icloud.com for the account, can I use a personal email address instead?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
I've trying to setup Family Sharing for my family. I have my email address setup as the main account and I've added my wife successfully. The issue comes when I try to add my kids who are 9 and 7. They both have personal email addresses linked to Apple IDs. Is it possible to have them setup as child accounts so that I have to approve their purchases? In the Family Sharing setup on my phone I can see that you can create a Child Apple ID, but I have to use @icloud.com for the account, can I use a personal email address instead?

Yes, you need to add it as a verified email to the icloud account first. I use only personal emails for all my accounts.

bisk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Sorry for being stupid, but I logged into id.apple.com with my son's @iCloud.com email address, but I don't see where to add a verified email address.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Just do a normal invite from the iCloud Panel to their separate personal email. (don't create new)

When I added my wife's gmail, it defaulted into a child account, then I promoted her to an adult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.