Family trick kid in to thinking he's got an Xbox

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hello.there, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

(really sorry if this has been posted before but I've searched and I can't find it - please delete if already discussed).

I have a feeling I'm the last person on the planet to see this :eek:. Any way, it's a YouTube video of a kid being duped by his family in to thinking he's got an Xbox for Christmas.

Just makes you want to scream, eh?

2. elcid macrumors 6502

Ya, I thought the kid was a little to young to really find that a joke.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

5. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

what a *******...nothing like crushing dreams on christmas...

6. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

A lot of people on other sites think it's fake, but if it is it's the finest acting performance by that kid since Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront. Look at the tears!

Engadget.com say the brother who made the video claimed that they "actually did get him the console, and that he'd eventually upload the video of the "real" unwrapping", but he never did. To be honest, even if they did get him the Xbox this video was so cruel it was kind of twisted - and to make it worse they post it on YouTube.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Probably because he wasn't expecting to become one of the most famous *******s on YouTube, and he was hoping to save himself a little, possibly by lying. The video has 126 ratings with an average rating of two.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Heck, I know people who don't get anything for Christmas - ever.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That was totally bad. It's one thing to simply not buy a kid something but to do that, he was so sad. :(

10. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

We all do - even more reason not to dupe them in to thinking they are getting the gift of their dreams.

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

From what the narrative says the kid looked inside the wrapper the night before and so the mother wanted to play a trick. I don't see a problem with that considering, if the rest of the story is correct, the kid DID GET the XBOX 360. It was simply taken out of the box for the joke.

Yeah, it was a little mean but we also aren't seeing the part where he actually gets the XBOX.

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If the box my Mac Pro came in was actually empty or full of rocks or something, I probably would have thrown it at my parents' faces.

13. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

An update on Engagdet says that the family told them that the kid never got an xbox and the whole things was just a prank :mad:.
    The brother lied to make himself look less like the jerk that he is.

14. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Some day that child will snap and blast his brother in the face with a shotgun. Then he will go and buy himself an xbox 360.

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

...and snap and blast other people with his shotgun in games like Call of Duty :p

I saw this like a week ago on Break.com. Very messed, he is going to resent his family for a long time because of that.

16. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Then why not show a video of him with the Xbox? I'd imagine the family have got endless flak for this (and the kid and mother should be easily recognisable), so if they didn't dupe the kid why not prove it?

:) Me too!

;)

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

mean? yes. tasteless? more than likely.

but any present is better than none really. it wasn't the best prank to pull in a kid though, but life gives you crap.

18. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

Engadget are sorting him out with a free Xbox 360.

19. kingslod macrumors member

kingslod

read the fine print...

The description of the video said the kid had snuck a peak at his present the night before... he was getting punished. He still got the game. Thank god they didn't have Youtube when I was growing up--I'd hate to see my worst moments on the internet!

20. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Me too......all those tantrums :eek:

21. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Being the youngest child, my family did this too me all the time when I was a kid.

My sister once gave me "Dukes of Hazard" socks I already owned (not an identical pair, but my own socks from my drawer). My mom once gave me a Nintendo box with a 2nd hand Coleco system inside (it only played BlackJack). So many more examples.

Women are evil!

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think the kid behaves with an extraordinary amount of composure and dignity, considering the taunting off-camera. Some kids that age would have blown a fuse.

23. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

I thought that too, he was utterly serene through it all, until the tears came. I just wanted to leap in to the screen and take him home to look after him - and, of course, to buy him an Xbox :)

24. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

25. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Yep, not too many loving maternal instincts on view there. I know it's not nice, but I :)o) laughed at one of the comments under the video: "If the mother cut her food intake by 1% she'd probably have enough money to buy him 25 Xboxs." I should add, I speak as someone who really needs to lose more than a few pounds.