"Family Values" Alabama governor resigns over sex scandal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Apr 10, 2017.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/us/robert-bentley-alabama-governor.html

It always seems to happen to the staunch family values ones...

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Gov. Robert Bentley resigned Monday, his power and popularity diminished by a sex scandal that staggered the state, brought him to the brink of impeachment and prompted a series of criminal investigations.

Ellen Brooks, a special prosecutor, said Mr. Bentley quit in connection with a plea agreement on two misdemeanor charges: failing to file a major contribution report and knowingly converting campaign contributions to personal use. He pleaded guilty Monday afternoon.

It was a stunning downfall for the governor, a Republican who acknowledged in March 2016 that he had made sexually charged remarks to his senior political adviser, Rebekah Caldwell Mason.

“I have decided it is time for me to step down as Alabama’s governor,” Mr. Bentley said at the State Capitol. He did not mention the charges to which he pleaded guilty, or the deal with prosecutors that mandated his resignation.

His exit from government and guilty pleas followed mounting calls for his resignation, especially after a report that was made public on Friday said he had fostered “an atmosphere of intimidation” and compelled state employees to help him cover up his relationship with Ms. Mason. Impeachment hearings — the first in Alabama in more than a century — began Monday morning, when the State House was consumed by rumors that the governor would soon quit.

Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey succeeded Mr. Bentley. A former state treasurer, she is the second woman to hold the office. She is a graduate of Auburn University and was a high school teacher and a bank officer before working for the Legislature.

“The Ivey administration will be open, it will be transparent and it will be honest,” Ms. Ivey said.

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

The list of stupidity that accompanied that man is impressive. And he's likely to bring those around him down as well. On the other hand, he did unite Republicans & Democrats, in tossing him out.

His texts to the other woman appeared on the ipad he gave his wife, that he had the government pay for! o_O

3. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

And in other news…. "Family Values" Fox anchor should be forced to resign over sex scandals…

4. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

AHHHhhhhh, the Hypocrisy, IT BURNS!

It is funny of many of the high and mighty politicians and preachers do not do what they say.

Trump at least has not made any claims of fidelity, with plenty of times he bragged about the women he had, even assaulted; still did not stop a lot of evangelicals from voting for Trump.

Is there even any real morality in the Conservative groups?

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Should be between him and his wife....

6. Nefilim Suspended

Not if he's one of those hypocritical religious pigs that promote "traditional values", but acts against them where he can

7. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Especially not, if he involves state government resources to help in his extra marital affair, then to cover it up.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Do if it's not a family values clown it's ok?

9. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Not much. What's especially nice is how they preach to the rest of us. At least when Clinton types screw around they don't moralize to the rest of the world. Conservatives are a special brand of hypocrites.

10. 0007776 Suspended

Not when taxpayer money is involved. Otherwise I agree with you.

11. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

I cheat on my vows to my wife, that I supposedly love. But I would always be truthful to the people that I was elected to serve. All those strangers, I don't know. I'd never lie to them.

I'm convinced, how about you?

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Indeed, but his assistant got in the way. And the wife found out!

13. Zenithal macrumors 603

Yeah.. no. If you're willing to be a public figure, then you're willing to have your public and private life scrutinized if you're caught. This governor has more tact and common sense to resign over his wrongdoing than our idiot president. If this guy were a Democrat, he'd still deserve his life being in the spotlight when he got caught.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Did you say the same thing about the Clintons then and during this past election?

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

To be fair, it wasn't just his relationship with his aid. That came out over a year ago. Or family values governor should have stepped down then. The bigger issue was that he did things like use the state plane to take his girlfriend to the beach for romantic weekends, which the taxpayers also paid for. His wife left him early in the game.

A lot of this would stop if politicians would stick to politics and stop trying to bring in religion and family values, which have no place in government.

16. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

NO. He didn't resign because of tact or common sense. Don't assign honor where it doesn't apply. He resigned as part of a plea deal to dodge some very serious time. Tact, common sense, honor, family values, and more words should never be used in the same sentence as this hypocrite.

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Yeah, family values have no place in government. We need less family values in this country, not more.

Look guys, this man is a hypocrite and moron. But let's not pretend this is unique at all to republicans. Bill Clinton, Anthony Wiener, John Edwards, Barney Frank, Brock Adams, Fred Richmond, John Young, Wayne Hays, Gerry Studs, Mel Reynolds all did similar or worse things, and that's just the list I can think of.

Most of them were never even disciplined, some were re-elected multiple times by their democratic constituents. Mel Reynolds was even convicted of multiple counts of sexual assault of a minor and then pardoned by Bill Clinton.

So spare us the outrage, democrats behave just as badly.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Who said this was unique to Republicans?

19. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

No. Bring ALL your outrage. This guy brought it to new levels. The list of crap this guy did was so stunning his own party turned on him. You do realize what you have to do to have Republican controlled government turn on a Republican governor? Quite a friggin' bit!

That's the simplification. His crimes extend also to giving jobs to people to help protect himself, thus now risking their positions. That's also overlooking the fact that this guy was a 'family values' hypocrite as well.

"Do as I say, not as I do", never applied more.

20. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

OK,

Bill Clinton should not have a special prosecutor and impeachment acts against him.

21. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

All I know of this story is what I read in the article posted here. Where does the "family values" in the thread title come from? Was he one to preach about the subject?

22. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Look up definition of Hypocrisy.

Hypocrite is like taking a misdemeanor up to 1st Degree Felony.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017 ---
    Card carrying.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/robert-bentley-cellphones_us_56fd936ce4b083f5c6074f68

http://modernliberals.com/family-values-alabama-governor-robert-bentley-exposed-cheating-wife/

23. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Doing a quick google search shows he's homophobic former baptist deacon, who literally ran on a family values platform. That's kind of where the family values thing comes from.

Seems he considered traditional marriage as a "social experiment" as well.

24. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Seems the family values thing is included in most articles from sites that tend to lean a certain way. Is that based on his stance on same sex marriage?
    Oh well. It's right for him to go and he should still face criminal charges.

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I think there was a lot of distance between them for sure and another woman.