Famous lion killed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JamesMike, Jul 28, 2015.

1. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

2. aristobrat, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

aristobrat macrumors G4

That's awesome you were able to see Cecil.

This story makes me so angry. I hope something good comes from this.

3. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps some client of his can return the favour by a reenactment of the famous scene from Marathon Man. Drilling into all his healthy teeth, making him suffer for 40 hours and then shoot him with a bow and arrow.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed. Excellent video and thanks for posting it.

Terrific that you were able to see Cecil and his pride, and terrible that neither you nor anyone else will be able to see him ever again in the future because of this gratuitous act of self-indulgent cretinous idiocy.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ions-killer-revealed-as-American-dentist.html

This guy led by the guides have clearly overstepped the mark when it comes to trophy hunting, even by those not fully committed to the anti hunting cause.

1. They lured Cecil out of the protected reserve with meat in order to get him in a legal position to shoot.
    2. The dentist has had a previous conviction for shooting a bear illegally
    3. Cecil the lion was tagged for scientific research
    4. They tried to destroy and hide the tag.
    5. Cecil was skinned and beheaded, the rest of the body was dumped and didn't even benefit anyone.

It sounds like this dentist has chosen to use guides who know how to work around the law, just so he can pose with a dead animal for a few minutes. I hope he gets his comeuppance.

7. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Not real sure if the guy did something wrong or was led by the guides to do something wrong but I'm most bothered by people now calling for his death.

8. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Scum, no problem with hunting to survive as some indigenous peoples do for example. Big issue with trophy hunting - no need for it and please don't tell me it's for conservation.

Edit: regarding haxrnic's post, I don't agree with calls for his death but I don't agree with what he did.

9. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

If only people were more outraged about things that actually matter like the whole illegal Planned Parenthood activities.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

I didn't know advocating family planning was illegal.....

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

Im with you on that, I don't agree with a life for a life when it comes to people, let alone animals.

But he pushed it as far as he could, and it will now probably ruin his life & livelihood..... and frankly, I don't care if it does.

12. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

4 posts in and the derailing has begun. As for the dentist, he's got skeletons in his closet.

Fishing without a license, felony bear poaching, lying to wildlife service agents, sexual harassment and now lion poaching.

If you have to lure the lion out of the park in order to kill it, you know something isn't legit. This guy is scum.

Jimmy Kimmel on this

https://vid.me/IeDM

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I wish I was his patient, so I could tell him personally how disgusting he is, and then leave him.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Put your money where your mouth is and start a thread.

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

this is not the first time he has broken the law he drug a bear he illegally shot to a place he could legally claim it So I dout he can be trusted.
    as far as death threats everyone gets them for not much of anything.

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

Louis Theroux's facebook post on the topic was very good.... I'd totally forgotten he'd made a documentary about big game trophy hunters.

17. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

This story is disgusting on so many levels.

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

Lets be honest aswell, he chose to shoot it with a bow, because it is more challenging (or they didn't want to alert anyone near by what they were up to), which resulted in the lion bleeding out for nearly 40 hours before they killed it with a firearm...... Any discussion about humane killing just went out the window there too.

19. samiwas macrumors 65816

I just cannot imagine the mindset of somebody to enjoy this, to be happy about this...to want this. To shoot and watch an animal die. Not because you need food. Not because you need the skin for warmth. Not for any sort of scientific reason. Just because you want to kill something and watch it suffer and die. Some seriously ****ed up people out there.

20. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

bad shots happen, fact of life.

21. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Actually, he is - or claims to be - a very good bow and arrow marksman? Shooter? I don't know the correct term. I believe he doesn't use a gun anymore due to his prior legal issues.

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

I very much doubt that a arrow would kill a lion in one in any instance. The hunter used it because he gets off on the element of schadenfraude about it.

23. Eraserhead, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Plenty of (generally poorer) people already. Not many lions.

Besides abortion is the choice of the mother who will have to look after the child. If they don't look after the child it won't do well anyway and will likely sponge off benefits.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Possibly death threats and forcing him to shut his business will stop this being repeated.

I'd have thought there was more challenge in shooting a prey animal anyway - and certainly one that's legal to hunt.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We as a species at some point must move beyond our survival/kill instincts regarding it as a pleasurable hobby. :oops:

If this can be believed from the article. Palmer a Minnesota resident.: