Famous people from your home town, school, military unit, work, or relative/friend

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Dec 28, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Nobody famous "from" my town, one high school alum was/is big soap star so I guess that's one famous person, one person from my uni's law school hit big tobacco with first big suit/settlement, I wasn't in military but James Garner, Peter Graves, and Clint Eastwood were stationed 10 miles from me, and I have no famous friends but I think Macrumors users first discovered singing sensation "Wing" from New Zealand and she has gone on from curiosity in her country to selling out shows worldwide and getting international media attention. :)

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Went to the same high school Danny White did (former Dallas Cowboys QB and coach of the Arizona Rattlers).

And Sandra Bernhard is my second cousin. But I haven't seen are talked to her in a loooonnngg time.

3. shecky Guest

shecky

i went to high school with Debra Messing from "Will & Grace." Also when i worked big-box retail i had a number of the NE Patriots as customers, as well as Tim Daly from TV's "Wings."

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

The parents of my best friend in high school used to double-date with Elvis Presley.

Nipsey Russell danced on my parent's car at the Varsity.

My brother used to hang out at Southlake Mall in Morrow, Georgia, with Tony Atlas and Tommy Rich.

My grandmother was a founding member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
    My grandfather was a member of The Rough Riders.
    (I know, military service/affiliation doesn't really make one famous, but to me it does.:eek:)

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

According to Wikipedia, lots of famous people went to my high school.

Many of FHHS's most famous students have gained recognition in entertainment fields. These include childhood-TV veteran Captain Kangaroo (Bob Keeshan), perennial TV-serial star Michael Landon, TV freak-show host and one-time mayor of Cincinnati Jerry Springer, Dave Rubinstein deceased singer of Reagan Youth, "easy listening" songwriter Burt Bacharach (Class of 1946), folk-rockers Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel; rock guitarist Leslie West (the band Mountain), and punk-rock pioneers The Ramones.

Graduates who went on to become prominent entertainment producers include network-TV's Fred Silverman, Hollywood's Leslie Urdang [1] Graduate and TV producer Neil Moreno [2] was nominated for a 2004 New York Emmy.

The class of 1962 produced three famous figures in American history: New York City cult icon, artist Arthur Cohen, world famous Holocaust historian and Ramapo College professor Michael Riff, and famed attorney Lawrence Schonbrun, known for his campaign against excessive class action legal fees.

Mark Gompertz, class of 1972,also a SING executive, is publisher of the Touchstone Fireside division of Simon & Schuster. Court of Appeals judge Robert Katzmann is a member of the Class of 1970. Former NBA player and current Washington Wizards' General Manager Ernie Grunfeld also attended FHHS. Novelist Katharine Weber attended FHHS.

War-time dropout[3], the late Art Buchwald, Class of 1943, won the Pulitzer Prize twice. Key organizer and executive of NASA, George Low, Class of 1943, served as chief of manned space flight. After retiring from NASA, he served as president of RPI until his demise in 1984. The first space tourist, ex-NASA engineer and millionaire investment fund manager Dennis Tito, graduated FHHS in 1958.

In June 1998, US President Bill Clinton cited FHHS's "academic and extracurricular excellence" and it became one of only 124 "Blue Ribbon" schools nationwide.[4] In 2000, US First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton delivered the commencement address.. Jacob J. ("Jack") Lew, a 1972 graduate of FHHS, was then the Clinton administration's Director of the Office of Management and Budget, having been elevated to the post two years earlier.

An elusive billionaire whose 'Cinderella-midnight' pardon by outgoing President Clinton caused a furor, commodity trader Marc Rich, attended FHHS for a while in the 1950s, until he was enrolled in an exclusive prep academy, Rhodes Preparatory School. The crimes for which Rich was forgiven by Clinton include the largest tax-evasion case ($48 million) in history.

6. Queso macrumors G4

On my street live a TV comedian/presenter, an 80s pop star turned actor, a best-selling novelist and an Oscar-nominated actor. I only know the pop star well, the others are just "say-hi-to"s.

7. br.avery macrumors regular

Nick Jonas was born in my home town, I go to the same acting school as Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez from the Disney Channel and my acting coach's son is Cody Linley from Disney and Dancing with the Stars. Mitchell Musso from Hannah Montana lives in the same town as me. Jessica Simpson went to high school down the street from mine and Jensen Ackles from The WB's Supernatural went to the same high school as me. I live in Dallas where alotttt of celebrities came from.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Several of my friends have been in (or are in) bands with decent record deals and a couple of friends have an MTV show in the UK.

9. Nadav macrumors regular

We have a lot, and one is very recent. Norman Rockwell, Matt Dillon, Kevin Dillon, Lou Gehrig, Ang Lee (my sister's best friend dated his son), and most recently Tim Geithner, the new Secretary of Treasure, who is my sister's other best friend's dad. The only two that I have met from this list are Ang Lee and Tim Geithner.

10. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

That's freaking amazing. Do you live in a huge town that had a large high school, or is it something in the water supply?

I assume you are from the state of New York. There are so many high schools with world famous alums, it makes my head spin. My question to any New Yorker is, "What high school in Manhattan or the boroughs doesn't have a list of famous people?". Actually I can say the same for Los Angeles and the surrounding area. I don't know if it's the competitiveness of a large city that produces people who excel.

My high school, which was 95% percent white, produced our only celebrity, who is ironically, African-American. I first noticed him after high school when I was looking at a Sears catalog and saw him. That was before his "villain" role in a well known soap opera which brings "fake" female alums to our high school reunion just wanting to get close to him. :)

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Famous grads from my high school according to Wikipedia:

Joel Higgins '62, actor
    Gary Barnett '64, former head football coach at the University of Colorado and Northwestern University
    Marc Shmuger '76, chairman of Universal Studios
    Robin Lynn Macy '77, one of the original Dixie Chicks
    Mark Fauser '79, film and television writer
    David Holtzman '79, chairman of the neurology department at Washington University
    James Kerwin '91, film director
    Trista Rehn '91, reality television show star, The Bachelorette
    Brad Cohen '92, Author/Motivational Speaker, "Front of the Class - How Tourette Syndrone made me the teacher I never had"
    Ryan Young '94, former NFL offensive tackle for the New York Jets and Houston Texans
    Bryan Greenberg '96, actor
    Yan Stastny '01, center for the St. Louis Blues
    Max Scherzer '03, Major League Baseball, starting pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks

From my college:

Gary Havener of Fort Worth, Texas, graduated in 1962, donated $5 million for construction of the Havener Center, at the time the largest single donation from a private source that the university had ever received.
    John Toomey, graduated in 1949, donated $5 million for the construction of the new mechanical and aerospace engineering complex, Toomey Hall. The largest donation for the construction of an academic building in Missouri S&T’s history.
    Greg "Fossilman" Raymer, 2004 World Series of Poker champion, won $5 million.
    Aaron Buerge, who received his Bachelor of Science from UMR in 1997, was the second bachelor to appear on the TV show The Bachelor.
    Bruce L. Edwards, served as general editor for the recently published four volume reference set, C. S. Lewis: Life, Works, and Legacy (Praeger Perspectives, 2007).
    Steve Sullivan, 2001 Academy Award winner for visual effects; a principal engineer with George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic special effects company
    Joe N. Ballard, retired Army General and former commander of the United States Army Corps of Engineers
    Dr. Joan Woodard, Executive Vice President and Deputy Laboratories Director for the nuclear weapons program at Sandia National Laboratories
    Richard R. Paul, retired Air Force General and commander of Air Force Research Laboratory
    Farouk El-Baz, Supervisor of Lunar Science Planning in NASA's Apollo Program
    Daniel C. Jackling, discovered the porphyry copper deposit that created the Bingham Canyon Mine and later founded the Utah Copper Company (later bought by Kennecott Copper).
    Thomas Akers, retired Air Force Col., a veteran of four space flights, holds bachelor's and master's degrees in mathematics from UMR ('73 and '75), made a guest appearance on the TV show "Home Improvement" on season 3 episode 24 "Reality Bytes", and is currently a professor at Missouri S&T.
    Janet Kavandi, whose debut space shuttle flight in June 1999 was the final Mir-shuttle docking, holds a master's degree in chemistry from Missouri S&T ('82).
    Sandra Magnus, who became a NASA astronaut in 1996, holds a bachelor's degree in physics ('86) and a master's degree in electrical engineering ('90) from Missouri S&T.
    Gary D. Forsee - former CEO of Sprint; became the 22nd president of the University of Missouri System on February 18, 2008.
    Ted Weise, former president of FedEx, one of the first employees of FedEx (formerly Federal Express) when the company started in the early 1970s, and worked his way up to the position of president. He holds a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Missouri S&T ('67).

And I don't personally know anyone from either of those lists. From high school, since him and I went at the same time I probably saw Scherzer in the halls a billion times but wouldn't know him. And as part of my job while in college (IT) I've talked to Tom Akers, but like I said, I don't really know him all that well. Nice guy, and if I would've had the guts for Calculus 3, I probably would've been in his class.

And I don't have any famous friends or relatives. Sorta a dull life :D

12. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

The governor of my state is from my home town.
    Jim Morrison, lead singer from the Doors
    OCEANA, hardcore band

13. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

My uncle (Buzz Hargrove) was the President of the CAW up until a month ago and my cousin was Miss New Brunswick a few years back. (Britney Shaw) :p

Nothing on the international scale.

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Here's the listing from Wikipedia for my High School. Three on the list I knew about since I knew them personally, but some others were surprises. John Williams! Huh.

Scott Baio, actor
    Mayim Bialik, actor
    Francesca Lia Block, author
    Adam Carolla, comedian and radio personality
    Bert Convy, actor, game show host
    Edan Everly, musician, singer, songwriter, producer, actor
    Terri Garr, actor
    Cuba Gooding Jr., Oscar award-winning actor
    Omar Gooding, actor
    Brian Austin Green, actor
    Khrystyne Haje, actor
    Alyson Hannigan, actor
    Lili Haydn actor, musician
    Sasha Jenson, actor
    Arthur Lee, athlete
    Elizabeth McGovern, actor, singer
    Christina Milian, singer, actor
    Martin Milner, actor
    Shawnee Smith, actor
    Susan Sontag, academic
    Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor, pianist and composer
    Ken Weatherwax, actor
    Morgan Webb, G4 television show host
    John Williams, composer who is best known for writing the film scores for Star Wars, and Indiana Jones
    Philip Zimbardo, psychologist
    Marlon Lucky, running back for the Nebraska Cornhuskers 2005-2008

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Forest Hills High School
    Forest Hills, (Queens) New York

16. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

Hmm... The only two big ones I can think of are Warren Buffet and Malcolm X. Both born in Omaha, NE. I'm sure there are more, that's just who I can think of off the top of my head.

17. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Back in her hometown of Visalia, CA, my wife tutored a transfer student in math when they were both in high school. She didn't remember anything about him, other than that she thought Kevin was a bit of a geek. We found out from my mother in law recently that geeky Kevin turned out to be Kevin Costner. My wife refused to believe they were the same person until she saw his photo in the yearbook.

18. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I went to high school with this guy:

Richard Cantu

There's a short bio to learn about 'im.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Quite a few from both the universities I went to.

From my town?
    Helen Bradley (painter, Lowrie on a budget)
    Bernard Cribbins
    Inspiral Carpets (band, and very good)
    Mark Owen (Take That)
    Phillip Schofield
    Cannon and Ball
    Eric Sykes
    And a whole load of people in Coronation Street and Emmerdale, and someone from Hollyoaks (went to my school too in the year below).

At a pinch, and a mighty big one at that - Steve Coogan. His brother does some stuff for the towns radio station but they were brought up between our town and a neighbouring one.

I've been in the local papers myself a few times :p keep meaning to scan the interview they did.

And before I forget, they've filmed a few shows and films up here- Brassed Off, The Parole Officer, That Patrick Stewart ITV spy thingy, Survivors, Coronation Street, anything to do with Myra Hindley.

20. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

Scenes for the movie "Election" were filmed on my street, specifically the huge mansion whose owners I know and whose daughter I was friends with. I can see my house in the movie. :D

And I'm from Omaha, NE, so there's the obligatory Oracle of Omaha, Warren Buffet, and a crapload of other people.

21. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

George Hotz, class of 2007, first person to claim that he had hacked the iPhone, allowing it to be used with networks other than AT&T.

Harry Altman, class of 2005, appeared in the documentary Spellbound

Kaavya Viswanathan, class of 2004, author of the controversial novel entitled How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life.

And more…

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

From my...

Home Town
    Slavery abolishment movement chap William Wilberforce.

225px-William_wilberforce.jpg

School
    One of the fw famous types to have come from my school is Premier League footballer Richard Cresswell, now of Stoke City, who was a couple of years below me.

cresswell.jpg

Military
    I got soul but I'm not a soldier, hence I've never been in a military unit. However, an early recipient of the Victoria Cross (Britain's highest decoration for military gallantry) was Hull-born John Sheppard of the Royal Navy, who was presented the gong for a spot of boat-based bravery during the Crimean War.

VCJohn(orSHEPHERD)Sheppard.jpg

Work
    We've no one famous there – at least, not that I know of...

Family
    Just one name springs to mind, but I won't name him for sake of privacy. Suffice to say he's a member of the staff at Hull City and we sometimes spot him on the telly carrying out his duties.

23. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Oooo, I forgot, Smokey and the Bandit was filmed in my hometown. I didn't get to meet any of the big guys though.:(

24. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

Only a couple from my podunk hometown.

Harmon Killebrew - hall-of-fame baseball player
    James McClure - US Senator

25. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Steve Levy - ESPN Sports Center Fame -- Oswego, New York.
    [​IMG]