Fan Control 1.2 on MacBook - My Apple repair journey

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeejeebu, Dec 19, 2007.

1. jeejeebu macrumors regular

Well, I just got my MacBook back from the fine people at the Apple Authorized Repair Center in Memphis, for the third time in three weeks, and I'm not certain whether I need to send it back to them. Again.

My problem began with this thread, where my MacBook's fans had been running at high speeds at all times for about a week, and then suddenly stopped spinning at all, causing my MacBook to just shut itself off unexpectedly. So in it went for the first time.

I got it back and they had apparently replaced the fan, the battery the heatsink, etc. And the fans were spinning again! But it was back to the non-stop spinning. And now the battery was draining at alarming rates, including while sleeping.

So back it went. When I got it back, absolutely nothing had been fixed. This time it said they had replaced the Superdrive (???) and the heatsink again. When I called and spoke to Apple Care, I was told that in fact they had not replaced anything or fixed anything. They simply ran some diagnostics and sent it back.

This time I wrote them a letter to go with my MacBook explaining exactly how to replicate the problems and exactly what needed fixing. But before shutting down, I installed the new QuickTime update and when I turned it back on, everything seemed fixed! I could no longer hear the fan and the battery problems were gone!

Until I installed Fan Control 1.2 and discovered that, in fact, the right fan had just stopped spinning altogether. So I added that to my letter.

So now I have it back again. They again replaced the battery, the fan and something that is called "PCBA,MLB,M42A." And I can't hear the fan, and the battery SEEMS ok, but when I went to check out Fan Control, it still lists the right fan at -1 RPM. Changing the settings does not turn the right fan on. The temp is still acceptable, but I worry that it won't be for long.

Is it possible that the right fan actually is working and there is a problem with Fan Control? Or do I need to send it back? Again.

2. kevo0822 macrumors regular

You said you had a Macbook... if that's true, I think the Macbooks only have one fan to begin with?

I could be wrong, but I think I recall my Macbook only having one fan.

3. jeejeebu thread starter macrumors regular

That's possible. I was just going by Fan Control.

4. rogair macrumors member

Only 1 fan in the Macbook. The -1 value is just as a placeholder. Does the 'left fan' have a value?

5. jeejeebu thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. But I think I'm now back to non-stop high speeds. Why does my MacBook hate me? :(:(:(