FAN Discount and New AT&T Mobile Share plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Whorehay, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I've looked up the new plans on AT&T Premier using a few different email addresses and it seems as if only the base data plan (1GB, 6GB, 10GB, etc.) is discounted. For my current FAN, the base phone plan is discounted, my personal line is discounted and each line's data plan is discounted.

Does anyone have a FAN discount that discounts the per line charges for the new plans as well?

2. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Mine is the same as yours - definitely not moving to mobile share as it costs $40 more and I go from unlimited to 10Gb in total.

3. bniu macrumors 6502a

each FAN is different. Mine's did only 15% off the base $70 for the first 2 lines of a family talk plan. No discounts on additional lines, texts, data.

By switching over to mobile share, my bill went up a whopping $2!

Before, I had this:

3 lines 700 minutes per month $69.50 with discount
    Family unlimited texting $30
    5GB DataPro Tethering $50
    200MB DataPlus $15
    200MB DataPlus $15

Now, I have this:
    unlimited minutes/texting
    6 GB of data to share $76.50 with discount
    3 smartphones $105

I pay $2 more per month, but I now free my other two lines up from the restricted 200MB plans, I gain tethering for all three lines, and I no longer have to care about minutes. Well worth $2 a month :D

4. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

I think it is that way for every FAN account. When I asked at the store what the account would apply to they said the data portion only before they even looked up my account. This makes it the same price for me from what I have to the mobile share because I only have 2 lines. It also makes the 4gb plan useless as you can get 6gb for $5 or so more depending on your percentage. Still on the fence about giving up my unlimited.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Each FAN discount is different, as others have already mentioned. That being said, a week or so ago others discusses this exact same topic, and several posters said that they had called in and inquired and were told that their discount only applied to the data portion. I'll try to find that thread and link it for everyone.

Link: Discounts On New AT&T Shared Plans

6. bniu macrumors 6502a

Well considering that unlimited is really only good up to 3GB...

You do gain tethering from mobile share, so it makes your data plan that much more useful...

7. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

True, and I don't even use that much. It's more of just not wanting to give up the unlimited because I know it'll be gone afterwards. Lol

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

One note, I believe the LTE limit is 5GB--and then the throttling kicks in if you have unlimited. 3GB is for 3G service. Correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Once the LTE iPhone is here unlimited data plans jump to 5GB/mo.

PLUS you get a much better FAN discount when you don't use the data share plans.

Example with my current account:
    1 line with $550 voice minutes = $50 (with 15% off) = $42.50
    1 additional line = $10
    Both accounts have unlimited data = $60 (with 15% off) = $51
    -------------------------
    $103.50

If we went with the data share plan we would be spending almost $40 more per month! :eek:

4gb of data = $70 (with 15% off) = $59.50
    2 smartphones = $80
    -----------------------------
    $139.50

An extra $36 a month for
    1) tethering
    2) unlimited minutes (meh - skype)
    3) unlimited text (meh - google voice)
    4) capped data (ugh)

If I wanted to go with the 6gb data share plan the cost would be $146.50 after discount.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just switch my account around a bit.

My previous arrangement was:
    Line 1:
    1400 minutes for $80
    Unlimited international data for $65
    Family unlimited messaging for $30
    Line 2:
    Additional line for $10
    Unlimited data for $30 (About 100MB used a month)
    Line 3:
    Additonal line for $10
    2GB data for $25 (About 200MB used a month)
    Line 4:
    Addtional line for $10
    3GB data for $30 (About 500MB used a month)
    Line 5:
    Data only for 5GB on iPad for $50 (About 2GB used a month)

Total is $340 a month just for the basics. No tethering, throttling on the unlimited data.

Now I decided to switch the other lines that didn't use much data to the mobile share
    10GB for $120
    3x lines for $105
    2 additional iPads (where it was just one before) for $20

For the these 4 older and 1 new lines, it's now $245
    I'm retaining the international data, so I moved my family plan to an individual at $40 for voice, $20 for messaging, and $65 for data. That's $125.

Now the total is $370.

That's all before my discounts which half my plans where not eligible for. I've gained unlimited voice on the extra lines, pooled data for the people who don't use much data. I pay for my parents, so now they can tether, go FaceTime over 3G in iOS 6; my mom's iPad can now have 3G data.

With discounts it goes to about $10 more per month; not too bad.

11. spurbs macrumors member

are the taxes/surcharges per line the same as the old plan? I'm not sure if anyone who switched to Mobile Share even received a bill yet.

12. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I had my iPhone and 2 basic phones sharing 550 minutes and unlimited data on the iPhone for $100. My wife's family had 3 iPhones with unlimited minutes, unlimited texting and whatever data plans they had for somewhere around $300/mo for all 3.

I just transferred all of their phones to my account, got a 10 gig mobile share ($96 after my 20% discount) and the 6 phones are $180 ($30 per phone at the 10 gig level) So now we have 6 iPhones instead of 4 and pay less than 75% of what was paid previously. None of us uses more than 1.5 gig of data, so the chances of us going over 10 gig with 6 phones is slim to none. Most of the phones will probably average about 500 meg per month, so if 1 or 2 people hit 2 gig we will still be fine. But the 6 gig plan is actually more expensive because the phones would be $35 each. So I'll keep the 10 gig.

Old plan - 4 iPhones and 2 "basic" phones for $400.
    New plan - 6 iPhones and 10 gig of data for $276 (plus taxes and fees)

My 3 phones had no texting plan before and now we have unlimited minutes and texts.