Fan dying already? Late 2010 MBA 13" - Info on Apple store service please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by acarney, Mar 3, 2011.

1. acarney macrumors 6502

So my fan is dying, or has something stuck in it or what not. I'm hearing a loud clicking and "card stuck in bicycle spoke" sound coming from the left side right near the hinge. I figure it's a bearing or something that went bad in the fan but I've only had this for a few months and my old MacBook was like 3 years old and NEVER had an issue with the fan. The problem for me is I use this thing every day and my closest Apple store is just over 100 miles away. I don't mind running it up there (well, ok, I kinda do) if I know it'll be an easy replacement on the same day. I'm slightly worried they won't be able to hear it or get it to make any kind of noise when I take it up, if I had a recording or two from my iPhone of it happening and a video of iStat showing low fan RPMs when it did it do you think they would repair the fan even if they couldn't get the sound to happen?

Also, would this be a same day replacement if I called ahead and setup an appointment and explained I was from out of town? Has anyone else had issues with early fan bearing failures?

Also, I get the "blank screen" upon opening the lid and having to do a hard reset about 3 to 5 times a week after all the updates. Has anyone had any luck with a Apple store giving them a newer production date machine and actually had the issue go away? Really the only apps open when this happens is Safari and Iomega StorCenter helper app, but both of those haven't always been open when this happens, it's just they're open a lot when I use the system so more often then not they ARE running when I can't get it to snap back to life. I've also had this problem happen about just as often both when I shut the lid for sleep or use the sleep command and then close the lid once it's in sleep mode. I know it's a issue but I'm wondering if any newer produced machines have as much of an issue, I was an announcement day pre-order guy.

Would a system replacement be a same day at the Apple store? (can they transfer from one system to the other in the store?) Would they just open it up and replace a logic board? Is there anyway I can save logs that the Apple store employees would be able to look at to confirm it happens VERY often for me? Or would they be unable to tell the awake from sleep issue with any kernel panic?

2. Mr. Savage macrumors regular

Mr. Savage

Are you sure the noise is coming from the left side? Because the fan is on the right. There are other posts around here reporting clicking noises that have nothing to do with the fan.

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I thought the fan was on the left side when you are using the Air - am I wrong about that? I could swear thats where the airflow is...

4. Mr. Savage macrumors regular

Mr. Savage

Nope. Right corner. I distinctly remember from the "leaked" images that came out just before the MBA's release.

5. rkheyfets macrumors regular

6. Mr. Savage macrumors regular

Mr. Savage

7. rkheyfets macrumors regular

the heaphone jack is on the left side of the computer so by left i mean... LEFT

8. rkheyfets macrumors regular

when talking about sides of computer you should be using the perspective of sitting in front of the machine and using the screen, i.e. looking at the screen.
    the computer in their photos is upside-down...

9. Mr. Savage macrumors regular

Mr. Savage

Apologies, I didn't realize the pic was upside down. Boy is my face red. ;) Now I know why I spend my time working on the outside of the computer.

10. rkheyfets macrumors regular

Its alright it took me a second too thats why i used the jacks for orientation.

11. rkheyfets macrumors regular

Back on topic the Apple service reps are usually great explain your situation the 100 mile trip/using ever day and they should swap it out if not ask for a supervisor and kindly request that they should replace it, this should work,
    if you want 100% replacement, call ahead of time (the main apple number) and get a supervisor or a rep to okay it and head to the store with proof either a letter or confirmation number.

12. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you think they would replace with a new unit? (are they really new, or referb? My system is in perfect condition with not a mark anywhere and the battery is still pretty low cycle.) I probably wouldn't mind a repair instead of a replacement but having a newer production date system would be nice to see if it stopped the other problem (the kernel panic from wake); can they transfer data from one system to the other in store? I would do a full time machine backup but it would be so nice if I dropped it off and came back later that day and picked it up and everything was all good to go without any restoring at home or anything.

13. rkheyfets macrumors regular

Anything is possible they have the ability to replace it with a new one but wether they will is questionable. As for the backup thing again they could but i think its unlikely. Also if you got a refrub the battery would be new or very very close to it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

my guess is they will fix it ... they might swap you a refurb for it though