Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azzz1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2018
I'm just going to start by saying that my Macbook is not in the best of health, it has a cracked trackpad, dents on the sides next to the trackpad, multiple screws have come loose and fallen off down the bottom. However, the computer was still chugging through its daily tasks with no real issues. Until one night I opened up the lid after about half an hour and the fans were going crazy and I thought there was a game running that I forgot to close, this was not the case as nothing was running, I have done multiple resets of the computer and nothing has changed. I installed MacFanControl and saw that when nothing at all was open the system fans would run at 6300rpm, the computer doesn't get hot at all from what I can see and I have been using it to limit the rpm to 3500. Is there any fix to what has happened? And is there a problem with manually controlling the fans and is there any tips when controlling the fans manually? Any help is much appreciated

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just want to confirm that you performed an SMC and NVRAM reset?

Are you able to run the built-in Apple diagnostics by holding down the "D" key after pressing the power button?

Was the unit exposed to any liquid?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I had (have?) similar issue on my 2012 MBP - not all the time but often whenever powered up or awakened from sleep. Brought it into Apple - they had replace hard drive 6 months ago and the guy said they should have replace the drive cable also - this cable apparently has heat sensors etc. on it. They replaced cable and all is OK now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.