Fan noise of Thunderbolt display, not MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Henk van Ess, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Henk van Ess macrumors newbie

Got the new Thunderbolt display.

FIRST HOUR
    Was bragging online about all the advantages but while writing I noticed / heard the display has a fan and it was loud!

Didn't expect this. I thought the MBA fan would do all the hard work. But it is still silent.

Right now I am running Spotify, Photoshop, Safari, Screenflow and iMovie. The MBA (2011) doesn't care, the temp is fine:

[​IMG]

SECOND HOUR
    Two hours after I unpacked the screen, the fan relaxed a little and the noise became less annoying.

THIRD HOUR
    UPDATE: the fan of the display went silent after three hours. Anyone has the same experience? Yes, I removed all the plastic :)

Btw, the sound of the screen is quite good... and I love that I can charge my notebook while I work with one cable.

2. joelfreeborn macrumors newbie

Thunderbolt Firmware update

Have you done a software update with the new display connected? Apple have released a firmware update for Thunderbolt Displays which should solve the fan issues.

3. mike95 macrumors member

?

4. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I'm not noticing fan noise at all with my 1.8GHZ MBA 13". Not from the display or the Air.

5. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

My fan on my MBA is always higher than 2k rpm when I use the TBD. On average it's about 4k rpm. Has anyone experienced this? I believe it's not normal just for web browsing and mail.