Fan or HDD making the noise in my new nonretina-MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johannnn, Jul 8, 2012.

1. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Hi,

I have a 2012 non-retina 13" MBP.
    There is a permanent sound from the right side of the computer. But I don't know if it's the fan spinning or the drive spinning. I hear it clearly when the room is silent.

I don't recall _always_ hearing this noise before when I had a 2010 MBA and 2011 MBA. Which makes me think it's the HDD. But are HDDs really this noisy? Could be the fan, but iStat says it's only running at 1998 rpm.

And how can I test this? Without opening it I don't know how to safety either just disable the fan or just the HDD.

I just ordered 8GB ram, and I have thought of getting an SSD. Maybe if it's the HDD making the noise I'll buy an SSD sooner.

Thanks!

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

When you move the macbook, the HD does make a "click" noise which is a the SMS sensor that Apple uses that detects movement and parks the hard drive to prevent data loss from an impending fall. But, with that said. It should not be a constant permanent sound. You should only hear it went lifting up your macbook. If it's "clicking" constantly than you may have a defective hard drive that is about to fail.

Best advice, take it to Apple and get it check out. And if you could, post up a youtube video and post it here, makes it alot easier to identify whether it's a HD issue or fan issue from the noise it's making.

3. johannnn thread starter macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Sorry for not being clear. It's _not_ a clicking sound. It's a permanent sound from something spinning. Both fans and HDDs spin.

Fan at 1998 rpm, I guess the HDD is 5400 rpm? So the HDD should make some ambient noise as well.

4. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Yep.

5. johannnn thread starter macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Uh. So easy to get spoiled after running SSD for a while.

Tried pushing the cpu with CPUTest (http://www.coolbook.se/CPUTest.html) but I really can't get the fan spinning up, this computer is a cold powerhouse. Hearing the cpu fan louder would make it easy to distinguish which fan I'm hearing.

Oh well, guess I'll get a SSD now. Hearing very will of the Samsung 830, and the 128GB model is so cheap.

6. johannnn thread starter macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Update: Installed SSD today, big difference in silent environments. That is, very fast and very silent.

7. Eliz, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

Eliz macrumors member

sound from mac...

my macbook pro core 2 duo 2011 makes this slight humming (fan/ HD?) noise... very faint though... i wonder if it's because of FAN CONTROL which i have set to 3400 rpm...?????:confused: i didn't have this problem with my previous mac.:(:(:(

8. johannnn thread starter macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Don't set it to 3400 rpm and see if there is a difference?

9. Eliz macrumors member

if i do that, my laptop's gonna get freakishly hot. problemo...:mad:

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You run your fans at 3400 all the time? Your computer will shut down before heat damages the components, but have to wonder what you're doing that you need your fans to work like this.

11. johannnn thread starter macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Eh, even when the computer is idle? Remember, you just want to quickly determine what the sound come from, so no heavy use is needed. If your computer is so messed up that it gets freakishly hot when idle, then find some cold room to do the test in, or in the night outside if it's cold where you live.

12. Eliz macrumors member

yeah, i run it at 3400 on fan control. this keeps the temps good. i guess i'll settle for noise rather than heat. thanks all...