Fans at 6200RPM 100% of time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eladnova, Feb 12, 2015.

1. eladnova macrumors regular

Hi all.

My MBPro 2011 is constantly running it's fans at full blast.

It's been like this for months and at some stage I just accepted it as normal.

Having downloaded MacFanControl App, I can see the fans are running a constant 6000+ RPM which I believe is the MAX they could/should be running. Normal speed should be around 2000 I read.

Considering the exhaust is well ventilated and I'm not running any intensive tasks, I am trying to get to the bottom of this. My daily usage is some web design apps and text editors.

I read that I could try to rest the SCM. That had no affect.

Also read to check out the Activity monitor and the CPU usage of any Apps.
    Google Helper is running at 98% which is clearly not good.

However, as soon as I boot up the MBP, the fans start ramping up.

Anyone recommend anything else?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

One of the first signs of Radeongate has hit your Mac.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

5. eladnova thread starter macrumors regular

CPU Core 0:85
    CPU Core 1:84
    GPU: 81

Almost consistently in the high 80s.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Celsius I assume? That's really high for idle.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Post your cpu tab from Activity Monitor sorted with highest usage at the top....

8. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Apparently that's a common problem whenever a Chrome plugin is having issues. It could be for instance an extension or Flash player.

Here's what you should try:

Open Chrome's preferences. At the bottom, click "Show advanced settings...". In the Privacy section, click "Content settings..." then in the "Plug-ins" category, choose "Click to play" then restart Chrome.

What this will do is block all Chrome plug-ins unless you click on the specific content using that plugin. For instance, Flash videos won't auto-play unless you click on them.

You'll be able to see if this solves the issue of Google Helper hogging your CPU, and you'll be able to experiment with selectively allowing plugins in order to know which one is causing trouble.

Edit: I'm late, niteflyr posted the same tip.

9. eladnova thread starter macrumors regular

Guys - have done the Chrome thing to no effect.
    Here's a screenie of the Activity Log

Attached Files:

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If your cpu temps that high during idle then you should take the bottom off and blow the dust out with compressed air.

11. bennibeef macrumors 6502

1. Take the bottom off and look if the blower is full of dust
    2. Do you have an external monitor?
    3. Install gfxCardStatus and look if you are constantly using the dedicated graphics card - that makes much higher temperatures overall

Edit: I dont know if Fireworks and Dreamweaver forces the dedicated gpu but photoshop and indesign etc does, and you have it constantly running it heats much more.
    With gfxCardStatus you can force to only use the intel one, the adobe suite works there fine too especially if you are doing web stuff and even photoshop doesnt do very much gpu acceleration. (premiere etc is a different thing)

For your 2011 Macbook I recommend to force the intel gpu so that the solder wont melt soon and your macbook is done (radeongate on 2011 macbooks). That only works with no external display.
    And if we are talking about the 15 inch one here, not the 13.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try resetting the SMC - kind of a basic question, but I did not see that as a task you tried.

13. eladnova thread starter macrumors regular

Solved!

Yes, I should have mentioned that my MBP is hooked up to my 2013 iMac (non retina) and I use that as the monitor.
    Having said that, the fan issue is an issue wether its hooked up or not so I don't believe this is the issue.

Thanks everyone for taking time to give me some tips.

I feel this is early days but now fixed (crosses fingers). Here's what I did

1. Yesterday I disabled the ChromeHelper as outlined by ppl. At the time it didnt have any immediate effect but maybe I needed to reboot.

2. I opened the MBP up and gave it a clean. There really wasn't much dust in there but maybe thats all thats needed to start the fans cranking up.

3. I tried resetting the SMC. ​

I don't know which specific action had the most effect or perhaps they were cumulative.

This morning my Mac is actually working away here with a barely audible 1997 RPM on the fans. CPU temps are averaging high 60s to low 70s. GPU is same.

So, happy days - thanks again :)

14. scrmtrey macrumors regular

scrmtrey

15. bennibeef macrumors 6502

Me too. My 2011 15 inch is around 40-50C at normal use. (On Intel gpu). On the amd its around 60-70C.
    When the poster is always using an attached external display this makes sense.

16. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Yeah considering he's using an external display this seems perfectly normal. Pushing more pixels will always make the WindowServer process use more CPU, and if he has a 15" MBP the dGPU will be used which creates more heat as well.

17. scrmtrey macrumors regular

scrmtrey

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

you're right but my MBP hooked up to my external display does not push the heat to the point where fans are cranking at 6200. I'm easily seeing temps in the 40c range.