Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfiniteLoopy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Before installing ML, I installed an SSD and moved my HDD to an Optibay-like holder.
I'm finding that my MacBook's fans are spinning a lot more than they did in Lion.
It seems that the fans cannot slow down when needed, they seem to spin up when required but then just stay at a high rpm, even when the MacBook is idle.

If I put the Mac to sleep for a few seconds, and waken it as soon as the fans have stopped, they are back at 2000rpm, which proves that the cooling is not needed.

Is this a ML problem or maybe a hardware problem?

A few stats:

Start from cold boot:
HDD 25C
CPU 65C
Fans 2000rpm

Using Safari, Pages and Numbers:
HDD 35C
CPU 75C
Fans 3800rpm (can go up to 6000rpm)

Help!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Before installing ML, I installed an SSD and moved my HDD to an Optibay-like holder.
I'm finding that my MacBook's fans are spinning a lot more than they did in Lion.
It seems that the fans cannot slow down when needed, they seem to spin up when required but then just stay at a high rpm, even when the MacBook is idle.
Try resetting the SMC.

InfiniteLoopy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks, I'd already done that and have just retried it.
Upon reboot, fans were already in the 3000s and rising. I put the MacBook to sleep and the fans stopped after 5 seconds. I woke it up and they are staying in the 2000s for now.

I'm guessing this is a ML issue?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, I'd already done that and have just retried it.
Upon reboot, fans were already in the 3000s and rising. I put the MacBook to sleep and the fans stopped after 5 seconds. I woke it up and they are staying in the 2000s for now.
It looks more like you have processes that are pushing your CPU, driving up temps. The next time the fans spin up:
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

InfiniteLoopy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Well.

I've been trying to get the fans up! Usually opening Safari and Pages will do it but not this time.
I even tried watching HD trailers in the app of death (iTunes) but the fans barely went over 2000rpm.

Finally, watching a 1080p film in iMovie fullscreen (with the above and Aperture open) got the fans revving and the CPU jumped to 80C.
I quit iMovie and watched a fullscreen slideshow in Aperture, as I could hear the fans slowing down.
I'm now at:

CPU 65C
HDD 35C
Fans 2000rpm

It can only be the SMC reset yesterday that solved it. I'll post again if I get any more problems.

Thanks, :)

InfiniteLoopy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Well the fans are still spinning for no reason. It happens every day.

Right now:
CPU 75C
HDD 35C
Fans in the 4000s.

If I put the MacBook to sleep, the fans stop and when I waken it, they stay in the 2000s ... but sometimes speed up again.

Any ideas?
ML bug?

InfiniteLoopy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Hi,

I did check.
There are no processes that are using more than 5% of the CPU and I have more than 5GB of free system memory.

Maybe it's simply the summer heat (though it's a strange coincidence). If not, could the optibay/HDD or SSD be creating a situation where the fans need to work more?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Hi,

I did check.
There are no processes that are using more than 5% of the CPU and I have more than 5GB of free system memory.

Maybe it's simply the summer heat (though it's a strange coincidence). If not, could the optibay/HDD or SSD be creating a situation where the fans need to work more?

Check NOT ONLY your own processes, but also the root ones - select the corresponding tab in Activity Monitor to see all processes.

InfiniteLoopy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
The fans have been good for the past couple of days.
Yesterday, I was using Aperture in fullscreen mode and the fans sped up, but eventually slowed down again.

I'll post screenshots if/when problems arise again... :cool:

InfiniteLoopy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I'm still not satisfied with the fans.

I'll do a recap and post some further info here:

Before installing ML, I installed an SSD and moved my HDD to an optibay-like holder.

Ever since doing these changes and installing ML, my 2008 Unibody MacBook is noticeably hotter in the back left corner, where the Magsafe, Ethernet, USB and Mini DisplayPort have connections plugged in.

This results in fans revving up to 6000rpm for no reason, while the CPU gets to around 70C.

I initially thought that this was an ML issue as putting the MacBook to sleep immediately dropped the fans to 2000rpm, remaining that way once I woke it again (for a while).

However, it seems that some apps in ML, notably Numbers '09, are using up to 80%(!!!) of the CPU when in use, therefore pushing up the temperature of the CPU and the fans' rpm. Quitting Numbers gradually reduces the fans back to 2000rpm.

I'm also seeing Safari use the CPU extensively, both Safari and Safari Web Content briefly occupy up to 50% of the CPU when clicking on links on MacRumors. (I don't have Flash installed.)

Is there a solution to this? Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on the hotter left back side?

Also, for the first time this week, I've experienced upon a failed boot (or possibly a failed previous shutdown) a back screen of death. It was a screen of code and error messages reminiscent of a Windows BSOD, but on a black screen. Any ideas?

ovzjwz

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Netherlands (Europe)
I have resetted the SMC. My setup is almost the same the only diffrence is that I have a 09 model mbp 13''. I also have an ssd and the hdd in an optibay.

The problem is that the fans dont slow down when the cpu gets colder. The fan stays at 6200rpm even if the cpu cools down to 70c, or even colder. I have the SSD for over a year and it always worked properly. I also think that the problems started around the time that I installed mountain lion.

I thought that it could have something to do with the HHD in the optibay, but im not sure. So I hope that the topic starter reads this and could tell me how he fixed the fact that the fans don't slow down when the computer gets colder.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Thinking....

There were a number of things I've noticed along these lines but that the CPU fan seems to spin about 1/3 to 2/3 faster under Mountain Lion than under Lion or Snow Leopard before it.

I've tried some of the processes but next-up I'll have to look at resetting the SMC.

SMC reset: Now we'll put the machine under load for a bit to see what happens, but not too high a load.

Update: sure seems like it's higher than it ever was under Lion or Snow Leopard.

Last edited:

InfiniteLoopy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
A while back, I switched to using the MacBook open, when attached to an external screen. It seems that this helps the air flow. Yes, sometimes the fans spin up but they also decrease their speed again eventually. I think opening your MacBook may help some of you with a similar problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.