FARC releases hostages...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pachyderm, Jul 3, 2008.

1. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

...after McCain pays a visit to Columbia a la Reagan in '79...?

Iran/Contra = FARC hostage release?

And yes, the U.S. government gives about $6 billion to the Columbian military a year.

Time will tell.

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

McCain had absolutely nothing to do with this. He just happened to be in Colombia when this happened. Unfortunately, I think he'll try to take credit for it somehow, and people will believe him.

3. pachyderm thread starter macrumors 603

pachyderm

i hope not.
    i was just relaying what i saw and heard on CNN... ;):apple:

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Is there anything factual in this post? Or is it speculation made of whole cloth?

Unless there is major breaking news that CNN hasn't posted on their site yet, this was the operation that happened yesterday. No hostages were released by FARC -- the Colombian military agents infiltrated the insurgent organization and rescued the hostages by tricking the captors into letting them load a helicopter with hostages, thinking that they were other rebels taking the captives to another rebel base.

No US personnel were involved, US military spokesmen claim credit for providing "intelligence" and unspecified material support

5. pachyderm thread starter macrumors 603

pachyderm

OOPS! yer right! I have entitled this incorrectly. My bad. :eek:
    Should read something like:

FARC Captives Rescued!

I offer my sincerest apologies. I have tried to change/edit the title but I am not allowed to do so.

6. pachyderm thread starter macrumors 603

pachyderm

this is what i posted immediately after i saw the story on CNN i quoted them...
    now i'm reading that the US only gives about $4 Billion year. and they(CNN) used the term "released" ..

again i apologize for any misgivings or misinterpretations.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Post this link into your Safari Downloads window and you can see a 3 min video report.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just a hunch at this point, with nothing to back it up except my own suspiscions... but I'm going to guess that eventually it will come out that some US personnel were actually involved.

I'm quite likely wrong, but something strikes me as unusual about this.

9. pachyderm thread starter macrumors 603

pachyderm

what i keep hearing is the US was involved in some very, very minor way. most of the insiders/experts here are giving tons of credit and kudos to the colombian army and administration... ;)

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

as far as i've seen reported, the US was only involved in terms of information. no personal on scene or planning though.