Farmers facing a labor shortage, no illegals to hire

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Sep 29, 2017.

1. PracticalMac, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

They're not all illegal. Many come on migrant visas. Those visas are pretty expensive up front cost for the employer, but they also guarantee the workers won't get deported mid season.
    Those farmers complaining about the lack of migrant workers need to go the migrant worker H2A visa route and not rely on illegals.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Whered the $15 dollar minimum wage call go?

Oh, we want an exemption for illegals.

4. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

There were earlier reports that the recent generation isn’t interested in a career in the illegal migrant worker field. Isn’t this a good thing?

5. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I don’t. If a farmer hires an illegal, they should pay the minimum.

Farming and agriculture is a huge part of our lives and I want the best for the farmers. So did their reps, which is why they do an about face when something other than “murderers and rapists” are involved.

6. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

But wait! I was told it was next to impossible for these farms to hire illegal immigrants because of all the checks and audits? If all these farms ARE hiring illegals why aren't they being fined and/or shutdown?

7. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

What's the problem?

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The problem lies in the mirror migrant labor =/= indentured servitude or slavery

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Conservatives who want cheap labor but not liberal voters.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Meanwhile whole foods sells strawberries for a dollar a piece. Cry me a river.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Meanwhile, Americans who scream "American Jobs for Americans!" are too damn lazy to get off their arses and do the jobs that those "illegals" will do.

Nice double standard.

BL.

12. 0007776 Suspended

I bet having universal healthcare so people don’t have to worry about not having health insurance would go a long ways towards getting Americans to be willing to take seasonal jobs.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Get the people on unemployment out in the fields then. 15 bucks an hour should do.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Get those wanting American jobs for Americans out in the fields. They wanted this, now they have it, and should live up to their wants. If they can't do that, they shouldn't complain about having the crappy jobs for Americans. They can't have their cake and eat it, too.

BL.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Bound to happen. We had a preview of this problem in Alabama years ago when they scared all the workers off. Conservatives never learn. Always trying the same things expecting different results. Doesn't work that way and once again your going to get burned when you touch the stove.

There's not all that many people on unemployment right now. Maybe we can get unemployed Canadians to do it. :D

16. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

So you are saying a legal way to use undocumented workers would ge OK?

Fact. They work harder for less money, and do the work lazy Americans won't do. I have read story after story of farmers who posted ads for jobs and only a handful of "Americans" applied for them. And then left within a week of doing the work. Meanwhile we want to build a wall to keep those who want to work out. Those who want to chase the "American Dream". They represent the American dream more than the lazy entitled Americans who complain.

17. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

How are we not seeing the real issue here? That the illegal immigrants are willing to work for less? That we take advantage of them by forcing them into a job with low pay? That's what we need to be fixing. People who are content with the status quo are not for immigrants, they are for continuing to pretend they care about their rights while simultaneously taking advantage of their labor limitations. If the goal of companies is to hire illegal immigrants just to save a dollar, they are no better than those who ship the jobs overseas in my eyes!

18. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Awe, but you are missing the point. Immigrants are "willing" to work "harder" for less. Plain and simple. It's not that they are paid less, farming jobs pay what they pay. Farmers can't pay any more. Our trade with other countries sees to that.

Yet, most Americans are not willing to work "for less". I guess most Americans are holding out for management positions. A job is a job. The jobs are there for immigrants or Americans to do. Americans choose to complain. Immigrants do the work that is available, "for less". Don't blame them.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Fix how? These are the first types of jobs that get sent south of the border when wages get too high. Farmers then lose their farms. I don't see that as a good solution. These have been low wage jobs for centuries. In all countries on earth, not just the U.S.

20. 0007776 Suspended

Exactly, and that is why we need to make it easier for legal immigration for agricultural workers. We need the workers, and they want to come, but they can’t come legally. If we made legal immigration easier then there would be more workers, and there would be much less exploitation of workers.

21. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

This is a difficult issue. America has long been a farming Nation. We have a ton of arable land with weather conducive to crop productivity. Yet, US Farms can't compete with foreign ones if they pay $15hr (hell, even $8hr), vs Mexico Farms paying a pittance of that. Generally, US consumers want their food for as cheap as possible (some localized exceptions). The use (perhaps exploitation) of undocumented/migrant workers has been a multi-decade stopgap to address this. Yet - what to do? Subsidize US farms more? That's expensive, and perhaps unfair. Continue to turn a blind eye? Ethically dubious. I honestly think that you need to find something as a temporary fix until our (eventual) robot Overlords can do these particular tasks at hand...

22. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

23. Zenithal macrumors 604

I remember the first time I ate a Reed avocado from Florida. Nasty. Give us our damn Haas and go away.

Farming or being a farmhand?

24. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Field workers.

25. Zenithal macrumors 604

Good thing, I suppose. If it's a family owned and operated farm, then the kids should do the work. Maybe it's an age thing, but I always enjoy the pleasurable time passed picking fruit from my fruit trees and berry bushes. That sounded less perverse in my head.