Farmers suing DEA for right to grow industrial hemp

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stampyhead, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Sounds like these guys have a pretty good case. Think they'll win?
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/17/pip.hempregulation/index.html

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Besides which, claiming in the article that "Marijuana, which has only recreational and limited medical uses, is the shiftless counterpart to the go-getter hemp, which has a centuries-old history of handiness" is utter crap. The British Pharmacopeia of 1936 (before its demonisation) had eighteen pages on the medical uses of marijuana, used by the Victorians and their predecessors for everything from glaucoma to incontinence. The list of ailments it helps with is truly staggering. According to some, the laws prohibiting it only appeared because of the imminent threat hemp-based newsprint posed to the paper pulp businesses of various US newspaper magnates. I blame Randolph Hearst.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I fear that the Feds will claim an inability to tell the difference from hemp and regular pot without spot checks, which they are undermanned for. Therefore, to keep the ultradangerous gateway drug that is marijuana out of the hands of god fearing Americans.. no hemp. Damn hippies.

:rolleyes:

5. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

True, but this is more or less the argument they are going to have to use if they want to get anywhere with their case. Industrial hemp will need to distance itself from marijuana, sort of like Al Gore did from Clinton in the 2000 election.

Gotta love a government that rules by laziness. Oh wait, they're all like that...

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

For a lot of issues like this, I always feel like the old guard needs to die off first. Once the Baby Boomers are the oldest generation.. and gas is $6.00/gallon in the US.. Hey.. let's give hemp a shot! Why didn't we think of this sooner?

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You've got a good point. What's even more ironic is that the farmers of North Dakota are mostly very, very old and very, very conservative. The state's been fighting literally for its economic survival. Hemp is ideally suited for the area and would help diversify the economy.

It doesn't destroy the environment like cotton so often does, nor requires massive amounts of oil based fertilizer and water like corn.

The fear is that hemp fields would provide an ideal hiding space for marijuana. However, the reality is far different. An aerial survey would easily reveal the difference. Corn fields would be a much better place for illicit growers and I'm sure that they already do.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I"ll bet hemp produces more fuel per acre than corn or any of the other crops being grown for ethanol or biodiesel. It also doesn't deplete the soil, doesn't require expensive herbacides or extensive irrigation. Obviously something that should be written off as undoable when we can do it the hard way rather than risking acceptance of the evil weed. :rolleyes:

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I never quite understood the ban on hemp. It is a very versitile crop with very few drawbacks (its "link" to marijuana among them).

Athough I can only imagine what would ever happen if a brush fire came into contact with a hemp field...:rolleyes:

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Doesn't work like that.

So, are we all agreeing on this? Hm. How often does that happen?

11. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Wow, I think it's a first.

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Not to mention that there's no THC in industrial hemp, so it would have no more effect on people than a hay or straw fire.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think there's still THC in industrial hemp, but in megaminute amounts in comparison to regular cannabis.

It does indeed seem like we've reached consensus that hemp might actually be a good crop to consider.

So, what keeps the Feds from allowing it as a test crop?

It's taint?
    It's actual usability?
    Old habits dying hard?

Is it odd he every time I type "hemp", I end up typing "help"? :confused:

14. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

It must be banned!!!! It comes from the same devil weed as the drug that is ruining our nation!!!!!!;)

Seriously though, we still import processed hemp. If we could grow our own it would even help a little in our trade deficit.

We still all agree, weird.......

15. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Those same god fearing baby boomers only breed more god fearing ignorant children.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Agreed.. but it seems to me that successive generations tolerate more and more behavior that their ancestors might have termed "aberrant". And the contrary, not tolerate behavior that their ancestors saw as "normal".

I look at racism, sexism, and attitudes about homosexuality.

I would never say that there aren't real problems (still) will all 3, but it seems to me that all 3 aren't as cut and dried according societal mores that they were 20, 30, 40, 50+ years ago.

I believe that this is partially due to the "old guard" dying off, and partially due to changing perceptions of tolerance.

I can only hope that the market for hemp products and production follows this same vein. Hemp does a lot of amazing things, and would really help us deal with the lot of the environments & production issues that we are currently facing, and will surely face in the future. Plastics, fibers, fuel, etc.

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I've read and also had it confirmed by several law enforcement types that it all boils down to the inability for the DEA and local law enforcement to easily distinguish between industrial and recreational forms of weed. The methods that they use to locate and monitor growers and distributors would basically become useless without chemically analyzing any suspect samples.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well having seen both being grown I could tell the difference between the two. The Hemp is super tall while the pot plant is much shorter because its been "engineered" that way over generations much like corn has to yield a shorter stalk and a bigger ear.

Here is an interesting article:

link

19. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I think your statement was true but it will take much longer then the few years for the baby boomers to age.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So legalize it then.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Quite true.

They've just hit "official" retirement age this month.

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I can't believe that it's illegal in the first place. It grows wild all over the state of Nebraska especially along all the rivers and creeks and essentially holds the banks intact preventing a lot of erosion.

That's it's lumped in with coke and heroin is just idiocy. That in this day and age it's still considered a third rail within politics for either side is even stupider.

23. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

My sister is the very tail end of the baby boomers and she is 42.

20 more years at least....

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That would be a good question to ask at the next presidential debate.

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Technically I don't think she's a "baby boomer", almost, but not quite.

From the US Gov:

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdoc.cfm?index=4863&type=0&sequence=1

I would think a the early boomers were in their 20s during 'free love' period and would have quite a different view on drugs and their effect on the population (as well as things like industrial hemp), when compared to their predecessors.

Damn hippes. :)