Fascism Watch 2016: Brutal beating of teenage girl at hands of off-duty cop

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, May 17, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

In 2014, then-15 year old Monique Tillman and her brother were riding their bicycles home through a mall parking lot after dropping off items at a charity shop. Mall security, including an off-duty (but in uniform) cop, intervened. Watch the video:

Lets get a few things straight here: There was no report that a crime had been committed. Neither of these teens had threatened anyone. They had no weapons. Just a couple of law-abiding kids riding their bikes.

And this is the way white cops behave?

Tell us again why Black Lives Matter is a "hate group"?

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

3. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

What is your excuse for the behavior of that off-duty cop?

Understand, very clearly, that is what American fascism looks like. And I - for one - will stand up and say it disgusts me.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

What is your excuse for pointing out other peoples skin color?

5. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

What is your excuse for the behavior of the off-duty cop?

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wow.

Just wow.

This is completely ****ed up. There was no escalation from anyone other than the cop, and she was clearly pissed off that he was following her dangerously (and then harassing her) close with the SUV.

7. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Yes, this is the way white cops behave.

All of them.

It is indeed ... fascism.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Does he need an "excuse"? What do you think of the officer's actions here? Warranted or not?

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I hope those policemen get whats coming to them. But I won't go as far as saying "Is this how white cops behave?" because I don't believe that this is representative of how the majority of all 1 million of police in america behave.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

No idea.
    I didn't watch the video.

But it seems that vdrew is trying to incite racial conflict by randomly pointing out peoples skin color.

11. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't believe that it is either. I'm quite certain that the vast majority of cops are honest, decent public-servants who try their best to do a difficult job.

But what I don't see from too many of those decent cops is the outrage and horror, the vocal and public condemnation of their fellow officers who do commit acts of unprovoked and excessive violence. Instead I see a concerted effort to rationalize and excuse that sort of behavior. Too much of the law enforcement community - from union officials to senior police department figures - try and deflect legitimate citizen complaints.

America's decent cops need to stop hiding behind the "thin blue line" crap. Stand up and join the rest of us who are horrified and appalled at behavior like this. I should also note that the victim in this case, Monique Tillman, was actually charged with assaulting an officer. A charge that was - thankfully - dismissed.

America's law enforcement machine is seriously messed up.

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

This is why it's hard to take you guys seriously, you level a charge without even looking at the evidence. Welcome to Trump's America.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

I can't watch the video for technical reasons.

Did the cop scream racial insults?
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2016 ---
    I can't watch the video for technical reasons.

Did the cop scream racial insults?

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Just watch the ****ing video instead of being so sensitive.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

Why?

I am pretty sure it's some random dude harrasing a bunch of kids.

What does any of this have to do with skincolor?

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    No, it isn't. There are a lot of good cops out there who don't get nearly enough praise for the great jobs they do.

But there are some ***holes out there. As important as it is to acknowledge the good cops, it's equally as important to point out the fact that there's no excuse for what we all just saw in that video. Some people shouldn't have a badge.

17. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I am not excusing it in any way, but will try to at least explain some of it.

Just like in the military, those guys have your back. You don't want to have to go into a drug house with a guy who is pissed off at you because you just spoke out against him. It's human self preservation.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The fact that this type of harassment tends to happen to people with a certain skin color more of than others.

You don't have to like the BLM movement. Hell, they've gotten up to some pretty shameful crap here as of late. But at the same time, it's not something that started ex nilhio because a bunch of black people wanted to play the race card for sympathy points.

19. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

True, but there is pointing it out and making blanket statements about all cops.

Does not just point out those specific crappy cops. He calls out all white officers.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It has to do with policing, as you know, but are trying to avoid talking about.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Stop ****ing denying that racism exists in the US.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

True. You always want to try to maintain objectivity in these types of discussion. Saying that all white police are all corrupt racists abusing their authorioty isn't the way to combat the usual equal opposite fallacy that there is no problem at all, and our black communities are playing the victim to avoid responsibility for their actions.

When you throw blanket statements at blanket statements, you gets thread like this.

23. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Why would a cop who was under investigation for brutality like that shown in this video still be going on drug raids? Why would any decent officer want to serve with someone so clearly out of control? And lastly, don't good cops realize that unprovoked and excessive violence on the part of some cops makes the job harder, and much more dangerous, for the rest of them?

Effective police work requires the cooperation of the community they are supposed to serve. Why would the community of African-American teenagers have any interest whatsoever in cooperating with a police force that treated innocent kids like they did in that video?

The off-duty cop claimed that Tillman kicked him. The video clearly shows that she did not. (The judge dismissed all charges against her after reviewing the video.) Why do cops feel they can perjure themselves with impunity in their reports? And they do, with a regularity that is simply stunning.

Yes: Black Lives Matter is protesting police violence and killings against African American citizens. But as far as I am concerned, they highlight a problem in general with police violence in this country. And I take very little comfort in knowing that as a white person, me or my children are only slightly less likely of being the victims of police violence.

24. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

1) Don't know what precipitated the police interest.
    2) The kid in red is obviously agitated, justified or not.
    3) At approx 54 secs while the officer is looking down calmly writing, the kid in red appears to be taking off.
    4) The officer grabs the kid in red, a struggle ensues.
    5) The struggle goes off camera and the kid in grey starts to join in, actually at one point breaks free from officer in white.
    6) Back on camera, the officer in blue is holding the kid in red who is not complying. Kid holds her/his arm and hand out in the officer's chest and the other arm repeatedly thrashes out towards the officer. Presumably, the officer is telling her/him to comply. The kid in grey complies and backs off. The kid in red never complies, continuously struggles, and even when thrown to the ground is kicking towards the officer.

From this bit of evidence, it appears the officer did his job, presumably as trained. Don't know that particular department's policies but definitely don't see a brutal beating or fascism. This uncomfortable incident was escalated by the kid in red. Whatever the reason for the kid in red's agitation, clearly she/he isn't acting like the kid in grey.

As difficult as it can be, especially for someone who's young, one has to maintain enough control of oneself to not struggle with a police officer. The kid in grey stopped her/himself when she/he appeared to be losing control. Kudos.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seriously, **** this.

I'm amazed at how willing the people in this thread are to just submit entirely to a police officer. Their JOB is to deal with "agitated" people, the force of the response to her trying to ride away is not proportional, and only serves to escalate.

If you're not under arrest, a police officer does not have any right to keep you there, period. You don't have any duty to remain respectful if you are being wronged by a police officer. Everyone wants to pretend that simply being rude or annoyed by a police officer is grounds for whatever under the umbrella "welp, should have just done what he said".

This is an authoritarian country, in the sense that the people are willing to just submit to it.