Fast switching on iPhone between no vibration / no sound to just vibration

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by k1ckdapro, Sep 28, 2014.

1. k1ckdapro macrumors member

Hi,

I really like on my android that I am able to switch with just a few taps from no sound / no vibration, to vibration only, to sound / vibration.

What I wanted to know is, if there is a (fast) possibility on iOS to just switch from no vibration + no sound to just vibration?

I tend to switch often between no vibration + no sound (at work) to vibration (as soon as I leave work etc or when I'm on the go).

Help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

2. KLinPA macrumors regular

KLinPA

The switch on the top left side of the phone will change from sound to vibration (silent/mute switch). If you use Do Not Disturb from the control panel (slide up from bottom on screen- the Moon shape) you can quickly switch to no sound and no vibration. You set up the preferences in Settings> Do not disturb. Here, I suggest setting Silence to Always. To set up sounds/vibration go into Settings> Sounds. Here you can set up the phone to Vibrate on Silent. If you do not flip the Silent switch, the phone will alert or ring unless Do Not Disturb is on. If you do want to be "bothered" by a particular contact (emergency), designate them as a Favorite in their contact info and in the Do Not Disturb settings, select to allow from Favorites. Hope this helps!

3. k1ckdapro thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I just tried this.

There's just one issue with DND: I would be using DND when my phone is on my desk (and vibrate when in my pocket) and the problem is that in DND the screen won't light up for incoming notifications (as opposed to silent with vibration off), so I won't see notifications while in DND.

I guess there is no way to change this?

Thanks in advance!

4. KLinPA macrumors regular

KLinPA

You are right, Do Not Disturb will not notify you. But a work around may be to use the switch to vibrate and not to use Do Not Disturb but to change your sound settings. I would use "None" for text tone and you can purchase a "Silent" ringtone which is equivalent to not ringing at all. This way the screen will display the notification without vibration or tone. If at any point you would want to be notified by a sound, you would need to select them again. It seems like you would want it quiet or vibrating the majority of the time so it shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. I like the fact I can choose special vibration patterns for different contacts so even if the phone is on vibrate in my pocket I can tell who is contacting me.