Fastest way to copy 6TB of data to new hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sinitry23, Dec 3, 2013.

1. sinitry23 macrumors member

What is the fastest way to copy all the data from one drive to another? I have about 6TB of data that I would like to copy.

As of now, when I do a copy and paste the estimate time left is about 20 hours. This is copying from a USB 2 to Thunderbolt drive.

Would using software such as Carbon Copy be faster?

2. wwohl macrumors regular

Im assuming this is from one external hard drive to another. Is the data striped on a RAID?

To answer you're question... No, another program won't make it faster. You're being limited by the USB2.0 speed from the first drive. After that, the limitation is the drives read speed.

What is the 2.0 drive configuration? Multiple drives in an enclosure? Is it a RAID? Or just 6TB worth of files across multiple drives in an enclosure

3. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Lots of floppy drives?

But seriously no, software won't make it faster as wwhol said above me, it'll be limited by the USB2 speeds, even going onto a thunderbolt drive.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You could yank the disks from the USB2 enclosure and put in a USB3 or TB enclosure, but cost aside - by the time you do all that your 20 hour copy will be done. Just let it run.

5. Che Castro macrumors 603