iPad Fastest way to get an iPad 5 without waiting in a launch line?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Reminisce32, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

What is the fastest way to get an iPad 5 without waiting in launch line? Preordering? If so, how long does it usually take and what are shipping options (price & times) if I preorder while there is still new devices available?

Also when do you expect iPad 5 to be available in store for just a regular walk-in purchase based past releases?

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

you will probably be able to preorder at some point tomorrow if apple decides to do preorders. If not, you will have to just order one when they are launched likely on friday (like the 5S).

Shipping will be free for normal times, you can pay for expedited.

3. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

Do you believe that preordering with normal shipping times will likely get me an iPad 5 before they are available in stores without waiting in a line?

What about stores like Target, Best Buy, or Walmart? Anyone expect these to have some in stock after lines have shortened after they open on launch day?

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

first of all, like I said, apple doesn't necessarily offer a preorder on all products. The 5S was not available for preorder.

If they do allow you to preorder, the items are usually delivered on launch day.

Very rarely do people get them before launch, although it has happened usually when fedex or ups messes up and delivers the item before the hold is up.

Hunting for them in various stores on launch day will be a crap shoot. Some stores will get more than others, some will sell out within minutes, some will have stock all day. Really depends how many they get, how many people are waiting in line for them, and how many people think to try and buy one from that location.

5. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I hate to ask this, let’s say Apple lets you purchase the new iPad this Friday online on apple.com, Can you buy it and pick it up at a local Apple store rather than having it shipped to my house?

6. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

Are they gonna charge when you preorder or when it's shipped?

7. Macalway macrumors 68000

It's not fun

Stores like Best Buy are flakey with stock, and who knows how many of these are out ther anyway.

There could be a zillion. Then it would easy right? :D

8. mrmarts macrumors 65816

I am imagining that Futurama episode when fry races into mums store to get the eye phone and says to the guy on the counter "do you have any left", the counter guys says "let me check" and than you see the conveyor jammed with eye phones piling up. I might watch it again tonight to liven up the apple event.

9. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It is all a guess until we see if they allow preordering. You have only hours to find out. Until then it is just guessing.

10. captjoe06 macrumors newbie

Do they usually have them in stores the day of the announcement?

In other words, what are the chances you could go to a store and buy one today?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Good god thank you! I can't ever understand why people waste time asking questions that simply cannot be answered yet. Apple may not roll out iPads like they do iPhones. They may be sitting in stores today for all we know. It's been known to happen.

OP, hold tight and you'll be able to find out today.

12. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Pay somebody to stand in the line for you.

13. THFourteen macrumors 6502

Last year, despite ordering my 4G mini very close to midnight, i had to wait a while longer than launch day for it to actually be delivered.

They didn't have enough stock for all the preorders.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Raiding the shipyard and cargo containers where they are imported.

15. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Nil to none. No joking. Nil to none today

16. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

op it's not going to be as difficult as it is to get the new iPhone. it never is. last 3 iPads i bought on launch day and by not waiting in line,the ipad2 was the toughest.

17. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

No one can answer those questions. We don't know if Apple will do preorders and if they do when it will start. We don't know the stock amounts for the models, the demand etc.

Even if we look at past releases, history has shown that each release is 'worse' than the one before when it comes to demand. So even if every other iPad release had in store stock within 3 weeks, this one might not.

And who knows if Apple will mix procedure up this time to avoid reseller games. If they do, that could change the answers as well

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

To be honest this is a pointless thread. You're expecting people here to have crystal balls and are able to look in the future. I've got news for you this isn't possible. The only people who know Apple's plans are certain people who work for them. You're just going to have to be patient like everyone else and wait for the keynote presentation in a couple of hours.

19. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Yikes.

This is a forum. If we were only allowed to ask questions that had factual answers, you'd have to shut down macrumors.

Most of us enjoy coming here to talk about stuff we don't know yet. If we knew everything, it would be a boring place.

20. Mr.C macrumors 601

Nothing wrong in that. My point was what the OP was asking can't be answered by anyone as no one here knows. The keynote is less then two hours away and everything will likely be revealed then. Until then we are all in the dark.

21. jimmyusmc macrumors member

HAHA I agree! This is a great site with not only smart people but with individuals that are awesome with product knowledge. I must admit thatI might be a little addicted to this site..lol...

22. HM Apple macrumors member

23. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I don't remember them ever having items in store on the day of announcement (I could be wrong) I vaguely remember you being able to order online after the event was over once but not in stores. they always set a future launch date... If I had to guess based on past behavior I would say Friday you can go to the store and buy one.

24. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

The OP doesn't have a crystal ball either and quite possibly doesn't know what can or cannot be answered until the question is asked.

25. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

You are a wise individual.