Fastest way to purchase iPhone 5

williamrodz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
So I didn't pre-order the iPhone 5 and now I'm stuck with either ordering it online and wait 3 to 4 weeks for delivery or try my luck with local AT&T stores. Has anyone been able to go to their local AT&T store and find some iPhone 5's in stock? I've also heard that you can buy your :apple:iPhone 5 at an AT&T store when they have none in stock and they'll notify you when it arrives at their store. What's the fastest method you guys advise?

tdmd

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Every night at 10pm local time, the apple store updates its inventory. Place an order through Apples online store, and then click pick up in store. select the closest store. if its not available, you can change the pick up store by clicking change store and then putting in your zip code. that will tell you if other stores near you have it in stock. if so, place the order, wait for the email that your order is ready, and then pick up the next day. this whole thing is called personal pickup.

PN4

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
CHS
I went on last night at 10pm and it said 2-3 weeks.
That's with shipping it. If you choose the in store pickup it will tell you what stores around you have it in stock for next day pick up. I've seen lots of phones available the last 4 days and picked up one myself.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Sales may be slowing due to questionable quality control, ScuffGate, compromised battery life, Apple maps failure, and smaller issues.

I was in my local Apple store today, I witnessed others walking in and finding them in stock. The sales rep told me they've had them off and on for the past week.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Not sure what you mean.

http://store.apple.com/us

Just add the phone or phones you want to your cart and keep refreshing like a mad man at 10:00pm.
yeah, that doesn't quite help me. But thanks.
http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

----------

Sales may be slowing due to questionable quality control, ScuffGate, compromised battery life, Apple maps failure, and smaller issues.

I was in my local Apple store today, I witnessed others walking in and finding them in stock. The sales rep told me they've had them off and on for the past week.
Can we give the whole "-gate" thing a rest already????:confused:
It's gotten old, it's clearly lost ALL meaning, and has nothing to do with the original meaning of the "-gates".

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.

Jeez, those people were crazy lucky IMO. I have friends in different parts of the country who have been trying the 10PM trick, Apple Stores, Targets, Radio Shacks, etc, etc and can not find an i5.

It's become a running joke with us. The thing is nearly impossible to find for some people.

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Maybe it's because I'm in the Bay Area, but I scored the second night using the 10 pm trick.

CandieB

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
I got lucky and walked into a local Apple store yesterday and got one. I just had to cancel my pre-order and I was out the door in 10 minutes.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Fastest way ... Craigslist bite the bullet and pay a premium to someone with an iPhone 5 in hand.

Quickest via Apple or reseller ... Online Apple Store reserve or like mentioned smaller reseller like Radio Shack .. SAMs club .. Walmart etc

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
Has anyone found a way to buy an unlocked phone (for the at&t network)?

Or are we stuck waiting another 3 weeks like last year?

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Nothing in NYC Apple Stores. I'll try Radio Shack tomorrow looking to send my Black one back to VZW and get my wife a white one.

rainman7

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2011
I got lucky and got my 16GB black ATT iPhone 5 on the second day throught the online reservation system in the Michigan area, you just have to be persistent. And I guess a little trick would be to add the item in the cart before 10pm and refresh the page at 10 every night until you get the phone you want

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.