Fastest way to purchase iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by williamrodz, Sep 30, 2012.

1. williamrodz macrumors newbie

So I didn't pre-order the iPhone 5 and now I'm stuck with either ordering it online and wait 3 to 4 weeks for delivery or try my luck with local AT&T stores. Has anyone been able to go to their local AT&T store and find some iPhone 5's in stock? I've also heard that you can buy your :apple:iPhone 5 at an AT&T store when they have none in stock and they'll notify you when it arrives at their store. What's the fastest method you guys advise?

2. PN4 macrumors member

Log on to the Apple Store at 10pm and buy one with in store pick up the next day.

3. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

That's your best bet right now. My local RS receives reserved orders weekly and fulfills them fast enough. I'm waiting for mine to arrive this week.

4. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I went on last night at 10pm and it said 2-3 weeks.

5. tdmd macrumors member

tdmd

Every night at 10pm local time, the apple store updates its inventory. Place an order through Apples online store, and then click pick up in store. select the closest store. if its not available, you can change the pick up store by clicking change store and then putting in your zip code. that will tell you if other stores near you have it in stock. if so, place the order, wait for the email that your order is ready, and then pick up the next day. this whole thing is called personal pickup.

6. GetSwole37 macrumors member

You have to do this every night, until you see one available

7. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

This.

8. PN4 macrumors member

That's with shipping it. If you choose the in store pickup it will tell you what stores around you have it in stock for next day pick up. I've seen lots of phones available the last 4 days and picked up one myself.

9. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Hmm. That's right. Got a link?

10. PN4 macrumors member

Not sure what you mean.

http://store.apple.com/us

Just add the phone or phones you want to your cart and keep refreshing like a mad man at 10:00pm.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Sales may be slowing due to questionable quality control, ScuffGate, compromised battery life, Apple maps failure, and smaller issues.

I was in my local Apple store today, I witnessed others walking in and finding them in stock. The sales rep told me they've had them off and on for the past week.

12. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

yeah, that doesn't quite help me. But thanks.
    http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

----------

Can we give the whole "-gate" thing a rest already????:confused:
    It's gotten old, it's clearly lost ALL meaning, and has nothing to do with the original meaning of the "-gates".

13. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

14. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Jeez, those people were crazy lucky IMO. I have friends in different parts of the country who have been trying the 10PM trick, Apple Stores, Targets, Radio Shacks, etc, etc and can not find an i5.

It's become a running joke with us. The thing is nearly impossible to find for some people.

15. Kenjhee macrumors regular

Maybe it's because I'm in the Bay Area, but I scored the second night using the 10 pm trick.

16. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I got my phone the first night I tried the 10pm thing, but I'm in the Chicagoland area.

17. CandieB macrumors member

I got lucky and walked into a local Apple store yesterday and got one. I just had to cancel my pre-order and I was out the door in 10 minutes.

18. jedi74 macrumors regular

19. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Fastest way ... Craigslist bite the bullet and pay a premium to someone with an iPhone 5 in hand.

Quickest via Apple or reseller ... Online Apple Store reserve or like mentioned smaller reseller like Radio Shack .. SAMs club .. Walmart etc

20. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Has anyone found a way to buy an unlocked phone (for the at&t network)?

Or are we stuck waiting another 3 weeks like last year?

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Location location location. Looking at the forum the West Coast is still pretty dry. It seems most of the success stories are on the East side (with some Midwest thrown in for good measure).

22. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Nashville is nearly impossible to find a 64gb

23. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Nothing in NYC Apple Stores. I'll try Radio Shack tomorrow looking to send my Black one back to VZW and get my wife a white one.

24. rainman7 macrumors member

I got lucky and got my 16GB black ATT iPhone 5 on the second day throught the online reservation system in the Michigan area, you just have to be persistent. And I guess a little trick would be to add the item in the cart before 10pm and refresh the page at 10 every night until you get the phone you want