Fat Bias

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, May 25, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Would you hire someone with cankles?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Seems like another massive bias that should be addressed. No pun intended.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

One of the last ones that's "okay" with many people. Sad.

3. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

You'd think it'd do something to fight off obesity at the very least but no, not even that.

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Would depend on the job but I would probably be un-inclined to hire overweight people in a number of professions I can think of.

Also many people associate being overweight with laziness and other negative traits (lack of impulse control etc.)

Given two identical candidates I would probably hire the one who isn't/wasn't overweight.

5. 184550 Guest

Because of course the skinny person will always be skinny and the fat person will always be fat. :rolleyes:

Were I ever in that situation, I'd probably hire the one that fit in the best with the team.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

He did say identical aside from weight lol

I do wonder if employers willingly have a bias for people who smoke, overweight, etc due to health insurance reasons?

7. 184550 Guest

Eh, I took that to mean identical qualifications, not personalities.

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have hired for many years and I can say that I will and have hired anyone I think can do the job.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

So you wouldn't hire any athletes like bodybuilders? :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKg9B8NqTAk

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Don't trust 'em. Clearly they're not eating their mistakes!

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, in the ideal.

But Nathan mentioned fitting in "with the team". This implies, at least to me, some longevity in the position. I would not want someone in a critical position who may be susceptible to near-term health concerns.

13. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Most companies provide two different premiums for health insurance. One price if you smoke; a lower price if you don't. So in general that's a non-issue, as the extra costs are passed to the employee.

Though if someone has to take a smoke break 4 times a day it might affect a decision to hire them.

14. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

And I would hire the fat one because I know I could keep them at work with free food all day.

Being insensitive and judging people before you get to know them works both ways.

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

17. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Does the pejorative term cankles (with illustrations) in the OP advance this topic/discussion in some way?

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I guess you've never herd of first impressions?

I suppose a potential employer should go out and get to know every potential employee?

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You weren't attempting to apologize for others' behavior, you were putting forward your own. I was showing you how your opinion is shallow and fueled by the negative popular perception that backs the disdain for fat people.

You could make similar snap judgments about people who smoke or ride motorcycles. They are more likely to have health problems that will jeopardize their abilities to work as well.

20. ender land macrumors 6502a

Interesting.

I wonder if the tendency of women to wear clothing which shows weight more than men (ie most feminine dress clothing vs suits) has anything to do with this?

I'd be curious if those results repeated themselves if men/women both wore suits to all interviews.

21. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

You're right, we should definitely help those people get fit and healthy. I think one way to do that is to offer the job to those that are fit and healthy already. ;)

22. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Agreed! I don't think we, as a culture, should embrace fat people. Being fat is a choice in most cases. As an employer i wouldn't hire a fat person over a skinny person. I work at a gym, we simply do not employ fat people. The whole "fat and proud" movement is crap. Humans are not naturally designed to have that much body fat on them. It's unnatural, unhealthy, and unappealing to the eye.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes, but it's a culture we've built. We value stuffing our faces and finding comfort in over-consumption. Is it a choice? Yes. But it won't be an easy one to turn away from.

For the record, I'm not fat. I've been eating a vegetarian diet for over 20 years and work out and run regularly.

But while on one hand I abhor the choices we've made about food and what is considered "normal" consumption, I'm sympathetic towards people who have succumbed to the temptation of over indulgence.

Good point.

Would you hire a man with a beer belly over one with a flatter stomach ... all else being equal?

24. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

If we've built it, we can destroy it. Remember, it's easier to destroy than it is to build.

This should be a cinch. 50000 threadmills and truck loads of veggies. All we need to supervise the "demolition" is Jillian Micheals.

[​IMG]

Feel the burn baby.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

True. But I work at an institution with over 1,000 workers. We have a wonderful gym and track. Yet at lunch, it's usually the same 24 (or so) people who take time out to work out.

Of course, some of those other workers have gym memberships elsewhere or exercise on their own. But the numbers are telling.