FAT partition on USB stick not recognized on Win7 (other part. is OS Ext. (Journaled)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by krapidler, Jul 2, 2011.

1. krapidler macrumors newbie

I have recently bought a 16 GB USB stick, and would like to use it mostly to transfer files from my PC to my Mac, and created a ~ 14 GB partition using "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" for this purpose. I open this partition on Windows 7 via MacDrive.

Now, I also need a small partition for various file transfers (documents and such) to other Windows PCs which don't have MacDrive installed. I therefore formatted the other ~ 2 GB as "MS-DOS (Fat)".

The problem is, my Windows PC doesn't recognize the FAT(32?) partition at all.

What do?

2. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Format the drive as MBR as opposed to GUID, make the first partition FAT (I personally recommend exFAT), and the second partition HFS.

3. krapidler thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I have solved the problem by creating one big partition using Ex-FAT. I didn't even know what that was until a few hours ago, but apparently it works like a charm, even for big files.

Any downsides to this?

4. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

One big one is it may not be readable by older Windows systems. Other than that, nothing a standard user would probably notice.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

XP needs an update from Microsoft but exFat is excellent for OSX/Windows file transfers.